Silkie with intermittent neurological issues

Rose3412

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2021
Hi all, I'm wondering if you lovely lot have any experience with what I am about to describe with your silkies and if so what was it/how did you deal with it.

I have a hen approaching a year of age who when young maybe 4 months ish had an episodes of looking like a drunk hen. Unable to walk properly (although didn't fallover) with her head twitching type thing. Still ate etc then she got better after a week or two.

She had the same thing a few months ago but alot worse. She was still able to keep herself upright and not fall but would twitch from the neck up really badly. I describe it as epilepsy in her head as it's from the neck up! She came into lay at about 9 months but it was a short lived spell for her.

We are having the same again and she for the most part is a 'normal' hen scratching about and eating grass etc. But yes has the episodes as well as putting her head on the grass and becomes motivationless. Also today she was on her perch seemingly stuck on her perch having an episode until I picked her up. It was 7am and the other girls were out already (mine are not shut up so rise with the sun around 4.15am) so I don't know how long she was stuck for. Sometimes she gets stuck in these spasms and if I pick her up and move her head it snaps her out if it. But in time another episode comes. I think she is suffering in that moment, yes, but when she isn't having an episode she's doing all the normal hen stuff and I'm really worried I'm causing her to suffer. But equally don't want to despatch her unnecessarily. There has always been a clear time with other hens over the years but this I'm having a real struggle with, plus I have a super soft spot for this little lady. I don't care about the lack of laying I have 3 others for that. Thanks

She may have disease like Marek's, but unless you lose her and have testing done, that's just a guess.

Offer her supportive care through vitamin therapy. Give 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. A daily treat of egg, tuna or sunflower seeds will also help with the uptake of E.

You're getting good advice from Wyorp Rock. Neurological issues in Silkies are not uncommon, but they're often treatable with Vitamin-E and B-Complex therapy. Be sure to follow Wyorp Rock's post for Selenium required for the uptake/processing of the Vitamin-E.
It's worth noting that vitamin deficiencies in Silkies can usually be corrected quickly and successfully if caught and treated early. That this girl is now approaching a year of age and had episodes that may not have been treated as far back as 8 months ago may limit your success with her - be ready for that. Once the damage is done neurologically from a vitamin deficiency, it cannot be undone... :-(

Here are a few articles on Silkies and vitamin deficiencies that will help explain what's going on with them a little better than I can:

https://vjppoultry.com/2017/09/26/vitamins-silkies-and-wry-neck/

https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html

I almost wonder.... does she have a vaulted skull? If she does, did she ever get pecked real hard before these issues started?

Not exactly the same, but I've got a vaulted polish that was pecked hard enough it quite literally stunned her. We really thought we would lose her. Now she is better, but has quirks she didn't before (suddenly flopping down to sunbathe, but in dead chicken pose and not sunbathe pose/ seeming to suddenly forget where she is and panic before she can remember/ going still and staring off into something for a little while)

Or does she have a really round head shape (minus the crest)? My Cornish bantams have spherical heads and I've noticed the rounder their head, the more they twitch. Almost like little mini seizures

It is always hard to diagnose neurological symptoms while they are alive. Wry neck (torticolis) which also can include walking in circles or backward, seizure-like activity, tremors may be from vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, head or neck injuries, heredity, or a disease that causes brain inflammation, such as Mareks, avian influenza, Newcastles and others.

I treated a Mareks vaccinated hen for about 5 weeks who lost balance and could not stay upright. She had to be fed in her little basket since she could not get to food and water. One day, she had enough of her basket, and decided to walk outside of the coop. Of course everyone attacked her, but although she had to be on the other side of the fence, she lead a good life walking all over our yard. She died of internal laying and possible oviduct cancer. If you lose your hen, it can be helpful to have your state vet do a necropsy to look for Mareks or other possible diseases.

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies. I only just caught up as I had no notification via email. Anyway. She is much the same but still happy in between episodes and eating drinking and pooping well. Been checking her crop and she's full in the evenings. I have started the vit. E and vit. B therapy this morning.

I am confident that this is not Mareks as it wouldn't come and go like this. I also wonder now if this possibly is wry neck? I have had many chickens over the years but these were my first silkies and on my 2nd trip I as quite appalled by the breeders set up and conditions. Many young silkies present with wry neck and visible infections. I picked the healthiest looking 3 and couldn't get them home and out of there quick enough! I know I shouldn't have bought them but I did, to give them a chance and a better life. She is my last one now of those 3 😭

Anyway I am not sure of her 💀 shape but I also recall following what another reply said re head injury. One of my then bantam cockerels was quite violent with her and another silkie got injured because of him. It's all a bit of a blur now so not sure what it all is atm but 🤞 she will be OK. I do hope so.

hen approaching a year of age who when young maybe 4 months ish had an episodes of looking like a drunk hen. Unable to walk properly (although didn't fallover) with her head twitching type thing. Still ate etc then she got better after a week or two.

I am confident that this is not Mareks as it wouldn't come and go like this.

I also wonder now if this possibly is wry neck?
Wry Neck is a symptom, so yes...she has symptoms of Wry Neck.

Birds with Marek's very often have come and go symptoms - remissions/relapse...it's not something I would write off. It's been going on/off for close to a year.
If it was vitamin/nutritional deficiency, then symptoms would not wax/wane. However, with disease often vitamin therapy is the only supportive measure "available" to use as "treatment", but one has to wonder if the bird would have recovered all on their own with remission.

Thanks for the extra info. I was unaware of Mareks ability to come and go. I thought it was highly infectious and as other 3 hens OK (plus the other ten youngstock not long gone to their new home are all fit and well) that it was not this hmmm.

This is effectively her third episode now but it has been maybe coming up for two weeks now. I'm home alot so I've been observing her alot, I always do anyway as one, I love watching them and two, they will destroy my garden given half a chance! 😂 They are only allowed free range under supervision! That said their run is lovely and large and grassy too.

Back
Top Bottom