Silkie with mites

Dougal78

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Hi, I'm new to keeping chickens and have a silkie chick, I've had her for 4mths and this week I noticed her feathers appeared to be dirty around her tail. She has mites and its getting worse, I am taking her to the vets tomorrow, I've changed her bedding and dusted everywhere including her but really I need some advice. Please can some help/give me some advice on a good mite powder to use and any thing else which I may need. Many Thanks

I doubt she needs to go to the vet. Mites are easily cured.

Sevin dust (the kind you put on plants) will get rid of mites. Put the dust under her feathers, especially under the wings and around the tail. Or, you could kill several parasites in one blow by getting a cattle pour-on dewormer. Eprinex is one people like. Put .25cc on the skin at the base of her neck and down her backbone. Eprinex will get rid of both internal and external parasites.

Many Thanks for your advice, I did take her to the vets and he used something similiar to 'eprinex' but I will make sure I get some to keep with her first aid kit. Again thank you

Back
Top Bottom