Silkie with poo on her butt all the time

Cynthia 085

Songster
7 Years
May 4, 2014
CO
Hi
I have a quick question.This might be a weird or yucky question, but I have to ask as it is becoming problematic.

My WHITE hen silkie does not clean her butt. She poops and it is all stuck in there. She smells like poo everytime I pick her up.

She is @3months of age. Will she eventually learn to clean herself? I have to be washing her bum to get the poo clumps out. It smells horrible.

Her dropings are gooey too most of the time. I have another gray silkie who is only a month older and she does not have a poo butt. She is actually very clean. Both silkies eat the same food and do everything together. I am not sure why this is happening. .

Any tips and tricks to help me with this silkie?
Ugh she is a white silkie to boot and when she bends down you can see the Hershey stain!
Thanks
Cynthia

This happened to my chicken too. It was can become really gross and stinky.

You can hold your Silkie over a bucket of warm water and just dunk her bottom in it. Hopefully it comes out.

My chicken had dried poop on her bottom and the water only took bits of. I even tried to use a brush to remove bigger chunks.
My father decided to trim the feathers covered in poop at the end. My chicken had a bare bottom of a week or two but now has a couple of feathers to protect its dignity!
big_smile.png

Hope your Silkie will have its bottom free of poop. ( :

It's funny only one does it. It can be a sign of worms but then you'd expect them both to be like it.

So is her poop the only runny one of the two or is the other the same but just not as messy? I wonder if she has something going on digestion wise.

Thanks for your reply's

I do wash her bum and I have had to cut her butt fuzz too.

The white silkie is the only one pooping gooey. The other does not.

Sometimes I add a bit of natural apple cider vinegar to their water to do just that; clean out their digestive track.

You could try some probiotics, such as:

Plain yogurt (no fruit or flavored versions)
Fermented feed (easy to make)
Commercial products such as sav-a-chik or gro2max

Use it regularly for at least a month. If you see improvement, keep doing it for at least another few months.

If you use Sav-a-chik, I think they have two different products. One is an electrolyte/vitamin supplement and the other is a probiotic.

Aside from any health issues, I have different breeds and within those breeds, some have "poop rocks" that stick and get larger and larger and I have to cut them out. Some never get those at all. I have decided that the ones with "Velcro fluff" are not distributing the oil from the oil gland into the feathers and the poop sticks. The ones with "Teflon fluff" have no trouble because the oil keeps their poop from adhering to the feathers. That's my theory, anyway.

Velcro fluff vs Teflon fluff.....tell 'em you heard it from speckledhen first, LOL!
lol.png

Get a bag of whole oats or steamed oats.
Add enough to her diet, a little each day, until her stool is more solid, then let gravity do the rest.
This has worked for me. Also good when collecting hatching eggs, keeps them all cleaner.
HTH.

Last edited:
I stumbled onto this site that has a lot of good info, she has a page on what might be your issue. Vent Gleet.

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html

Granted, her website gives all natural ways of dealing with issues, but if it can at least help diagnose the issue you can research and decide what treatment would work for you since not everyone goes the all natural route. For me I at least give the all natural route a good try, then if it doesn't work I go to the vet or store for modern medicine. Sometimes we have no choice until a store opens anyways.

Back
Top Bottom