Silkie with twisted neck HELP

wry neck maybe?

Never owne silkies in my life, but from what

Iv'e read, alot of them have problems with it.

Last edited:
Oh I am so sorry for your hen. I wish that I had some answers for you. I've not heard of twisted neck syndrome
but the diseases that I have heard of with twisted neck are rare. Being new to chickens myself I can't help but I
wanted to give you some well wishes. I hope your gal gets better.
How long has she been twisting her neck? How old is she?
Does she have any other symptoms at all?
Good luck, Kate

Is this the treatment you recommend? Oh I added a little shaving of pred. I did move her to her own hutch. I hope she makes it.

Hi, One of my new Silkie babies was like that. She couldn't lift her neck and when she did her head was down. I cooked oatmeal and mixed it with natural yoghurt, and put a capsule of vitamin E on the mixture, also gave her spinach and apple, cut into tiny bits of course. I did this for a week and she appears to be perfect now.
I hope your hen will be fine. At first you may have to put the vitamin E on your finger and rub it on the side of her beak to get her to take it, same with the porridge.

The vitiaman mixture has E in it should I add more? The remedy I found before called just for the baby vitiman... 3 drops 3 times a day. I will note the poraige incase she is not eating... THANKS !!!
smile.png

Hello! Silkies have a vaulted skull, which if pecked, causes them to twist their entire heads upside down as it's a brain injury. It's crazy looking. I have owned and raised silkies for several years and have had this happen several times. The good news is, almost all of mine have recovered with no other issues. They just need a few weeks for the brain stems to grow back and heal. You need to separate him/her as they can get trampled very easily in this state. Make sure you have a waterer that they can get to--no bowls as they can drown themselves. The little chick waterers with the larger lip on them work as well as regular chicken waterers(the red and white kind). I do give Polyvisol drops wothout iron--they are the infant drops you can get at walmart or any drug store. 1/4-1/2 tsp 2 or 3x a day. Also make sure they have access to chick food--even if they're adults, I give the the chick food as it's ground and easier for them to pick up. Plus it's higher in protein. Believe me, just be patient! After a week alot of people just assume it needs to be put down, but it usually takes 2-3 weeks and he/she will be good as new!
smile.png
Good luck!!!

OH my gosh thank you so much. I did isolate her. I have been giving her water with the dropper as well. Not sure she can get to the water. The food is ground fine but not chick but I can get some. What about the poopy but.. just wash her off? I do have a heat lamp in the hutch I have her in so she is not chilled. Glad you said a couple of weeks... Iwas wondering if she was suffering. she will nibble on bread too..

Back
Top Bottom