silkie X RIR and other incubation questions.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2boxers, Mar 9, 2009.

1. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I candled my eggs last night (on day 11) and I was not really able to see too much. Before I took my "business" eggs and candled them, I practiced on fridge eggs-this is my first time. I am trying to hatch out some green a brown and a silkie egg. When I was practicing the candling, the eggs were beautiful! Especially my brown silkie eggs, which glowed while it was all lit up! I was even able to see into my green egg that was in the fridge. However, when I tried to candle my eggs that are setting, they were dark. I did the exact same things, but I was not able to see so well. All I could really see int he silkie egg was a dark mass, the brown egg was dark-ish, and the green were, too. Can some one offer an explanation? Are my eggs done for?

If not, here's another crazy question. My silkie egg was fertilized by a rhode island red. (I feel like a moron asking this.) Can this tiny egg hatch out? Can it sustain a half breed heavy?

2. 2boxers

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Is it considered rude to *bump* a thread here?

3. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I would say that they are fertile. But I dont have to much experience with that. But goodluck, -Jay

4. 2boxers

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Jay, thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think I'd finally asked the stupidest questions on here.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Hopefully someone with some know how will answer you better . I know not much of anything yet I am new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by