Silkied Duccles...is it possible?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celtic Hill, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So my freind has some Silkie/Duccle crosses, now if i breed them back to a silkie i should get a silkied feathered chicken right? Then what if i bred the F1 back to a duccle, would any percent of the chicks be silkied? I guess what im asking is it possible to create a silkie duccle with a silkie? Im not sure how the silkie gene works so i was just wondering.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The Silkied feathering is recessive, so no, breeding a bird that is 1/4 D'Uccle and 3/4 Silkie back to a D'uccle will not create a Silkied bird.

Really, it will take a LONG time to actually get a Silkied D'Uccle, as Silkies have a very different body type, plus you'd need to get rid of the fifth toe, the dark pigmentation, the vaulted skull and crest, and then of course work on the upright body, upright tail, etc.

Remember, Silkies have both silkied feathering alleles. Crossing to a D'Uccle will make offspring with only one allele. Crossing back to the Silkie again will ruin the D'uccle body, but you'll get a 50% chance of Silkied birds. From there, you'd need to work on crossing them back to a half D'Uccle, half Silkie again. And still, you're going to run through a lot of problems with getting rid of the Silkie type.

If you want a mutt with Silkied feathering, you can make that. [​IMG]

3. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:Humm yeah, well im getting the cross with the hopes of using them as broodies, so idk if it was possible. So it's possible but it would take YEARS lol. What if i used a Serama? That would be closer to type? (now were talking Theoretically, lol)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  4. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    *Double Post*

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  5. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Yes, breeding to silkied serama would be better than silkie. It will take years though. If I were going to do it, I would do the cross with silkied serama,(hatch as many as possible)-(choose best suited f1's for your goal) mate siblings together, again hatch as many as possible(f2's), choose best silkied birds for your goal and breed the only the silkied f2's back to d'uclle. The keep repeating this whole process, until you reach your goal.

Good luck

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Shop around.

I have seen some d'Uccles that had almost silkied feathers already. I don't care for them: I prefer hard, tight shiny feathers. But I've seen them out there, in both lavender and millie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by