Silkies 9 weeks old, wattles showing means boy?

Sorry, I know this is really late. I haven't checked into BYC for a couple weeks. I hope I'm not too late. Maybe they've started crowing by now :lol:

Maybe a few days on maybe easier to tell who's who??
These pics I took today, some have bigger wattle and showing more comb then the others, so are these boys? The grey in pic, boy?
I have multiple people asking for cockerels at the moment and they want 2 each for pets for their kids so I'm just trying to figure out who's a boy out of my 8. I have already sold all but 1 of my older ones, I thought it would be hard to re-home cockerels! Obviously not silkies :)
Thanks!
I probably will end up selling my pullets as cockerels 😂
Pic one: I'm fairly certain the white on the left is a female, the other white is male, and the gray is male too.
Pic two and three: Gray is male.
Pic three: The only ones I can see well enough to sex are the four in a row, and I think (going from left to right) the first two are girls and the next two are boys.
Pic five: The grey is male and I think I see a white female in the back.

Ok, here's pics now of 1 white fluffballs, boy?
I think boy.

Forgot to say they are all 10wks old tomorrow.
Ok here's another fluffy , hard to take good pics but has small wattles showing and comb is smaller then previous fluffball. But still possible boy? Because has wattles?
Looks female to me.

Ok, number 3 white fluffy, boy? Larger wattles and comb then number 2 fluffy.
I think boy.

1 grey fluffy, boy?
Again, I think boy.

Once again, there are no guarantees with my sexing, but it does look like you have a lot of roos there:(. I'm glad you found a home for them though! They'll be great pets, the one silkie rooster I kept is so sweet!

Some ideas of how to lower your feed cost for your whole flock are too keep a chicken garden with plants your chickens like, feed them kitchen scraps, raise Black Soldier Fly larvae (a work in progress for me), and ferment your chicken feed. I have also heard buying plain grains from a local feed meal for your chickens is pretty cheap.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I think the 4 out of the 8 I kept are girls, hopefully! All the ones you said were boys I have sold as 'most likely' boys. I now have 2 roosters, 1 cockerel and 11 hens/ pullets and I'm hoping they will get along ok (so far so good) otherwise I'll have to sell the 5 month old cockerel. I can't have him on his own separated that wouldn't be nice. I thought I'd be left with a few boys that wouldn't sell but people wanted them within days of listing for $10 each. I have 2 coops within 1 run and that seems to work well, Chickaletta (mumma hen) and her 4 babies that are now near 12 wks old sleep all snuggled together in 1 coop. She still babies them under her wings and they always follow her everywhere, I really felt bad taking away her other 4 babies! But I couldn't have 4 more cockerels in the mix.

Thanks for your reply. I think the 4 out of the 8 I kept are girls, hopefully! All the ones you said were boys I have sold as 'most likely' boys. I now have 2 roosters, 1 cockerel and 11 hens/ pullets and I'm hoping they will get along ok (so far so good) otherwise I'll have to sell the 5 month old cockerel. I can't have him on his own separated that wouldn't be nice. I thought I'd be left with a few boys that wouldn't sell but people wanted them within days of listing for $10 each. I have 2 coops within 1 run and that seems to work well, Chickaletta (mumma hen) and her 4 babies that are now near 12 wks old sleep all snuggled together in 1 coop. She still babies them under her wings and they always follow her everywhere, I really felt bad taking away her other 4 babies! But I couldn't have 4 more cockerels in the mix.
Glad you got it all worked out! Wow, your roosters sold fast!

My mama hen just stopped taking care of her two babies (she didn't abandon them exactly, just told them they were old enough to take care of themselves). I keep putting of getting rid of the rooster chick, Picket. I think I'll wait until he helps get his sister, Heather, fully integrated into the flock before I find a new home for him. It's so hard getting rid of young chicks, but I 'm sure you did the right thing :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom