Silkies and colorations?

Duck_life

Duck Addict
May 14, 2019
Woods of PA
I want to breed my silkie roo with my lavender orpington, He is white and she is.. well.. lavender. I don't know what coloration will be but well they be 50% lavender and 50% white or well the lavender color not pass on? Any help appreciated.

The chicks could be any manner of colors, but not lavender or white. White Silkies are usually recessive white. Recessive white hides many colors, but lavender, another recessive gene is not very common in Silkies.
I am guessing you will get black or black with leakage, but you do have a chance of getting blue.

Or you may have dominant white, equally common. Crossed with your lavender Orp you will get paints, a beautiful color.

Last edited:
The chicks could be any manner of colors, but not lavender or white. White Silkies are usually recessive white. Recessive white hides many colors, but lavender, another recessive gene is not very common in Silkies.
I am guessing you will get black or black with leakage, but you do have a chance of getting blue.
Thanks so much! I actually wouldn't mind getting black as I love black silkies but have not found anyone selling them yet.my silkie hen has 1 tiny black feather so would she be a black gene carrior? If I were to breed her with my male. My male is hatchery and my hen is breeder bought

Thanks so much! I actually wouldn't mind getting black as I love black silkies but have not found anyone selling them yet.my silkie hen has 1 tiny black feather so would she be a black gene carrior? If I were to breed her with my male. My male is hatchery and my hen is breeder bought
Not exactly. Recessive white is recessive, meaning it hides things and always breed true. If you breed them together you will get all white. Also, I shouldn't be helping you because my brain is particularly not working tonight.
Dominant white Silkies are also fairly common. Bred with your Orpington you may get paints. I apologize for confusing you.

Not exactly. Recessive white is recessive, meaning it hides things and always breed true. If you breed them together you will get all white. Also, I shouldn't be helping you because my brain is particularly not working tonight.
Dominant white Silkies are also fairly common. Bred with your Orpington you may get paints. I apologize for confusing you.
No problem. I am fine with getting any color I end up with.. just planning on selling some chicks in hope to end up with a lavender or "self blue". What colors would I have to breed for self blue do you know? Sorry if you don't I'm pretty knew to breeding.

E1DCB876-6B63-4B76-B57F-ED0A9A3EC352.jpeg 6F452EBC-23DF-4C24-9F81-062909563008.jpeg i hatched my silkie hen eggs in april which resulted in my “wonder twins” Dad was evidently my BO roo.....(chicks pictured)

No problem. I am fine with getting any color I end up with.. just planning on selling some chicks in hope to end up with a lavender or "self blue". What colors would I have to breed for self blue do you know? Sorry if you don't I'm pretty knew to breeding.
There are already self blue Silkies out there, and using them will save you a lot of time and money. You just have to look a little harder to find them.

Back
Top Bottom