Silkies and hot weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LindsayB, Apr 21, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    We have a new silkie hen and I'm alittle worried how she will tolerate the HOT and HUMID summer months ahead. Our easter eggers seem to cope with the heat just fine, but I'm alittle worried about the silkie. It was 94 degrees yesterday and she was panting...I offered her some cold watermelon but she just looked at me like I was crazy lol. This is only chicken I've ever had that will not touch treats!

Do ya'll do anything special with your silkies in summer months? Right now shes in a rabbit hutch on our covered patio. I was thinking about getting a fan to blow on one side of her pen to keep her cool.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Just put her in a very shady area, mine do fine and we get some pretty hot days in the summer, my coop is near trees so I think they do get a breeze and sometimes I see them laying in dirt, they dig a little spot and then lay in it. I don't see any diff between my silkies and my frizzles, they all tollerate the same, on those real hot days maybe wet her down with cool water, not to cold tho.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by