1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies and Standards?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sarahnl, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Sarahnl

Sarahnl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    I currently have a mixed flock of 5 standard laying hens. We want to get silkies in the springtime as well as a couple other standard breeds of chicks. My question is, will my current standard hens "play nice" with the silkies when they do get introduced to the rest of the flock? I've thought about building them a seperate, smaller coop and having their runs next to each other. As my current set up is, I could build the silkie coop on the opposite side of the current run instead of building them a seperate run. My current flock of standards free range just about every day, and are pretty much only in the run when they haven't been let out into the yard.

Does anyone have any experience with adding silkies or other bantams to an already established flock of standards? Any tips?

Thanks!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The first thing I would recommend, unless your getting chicks, is quarantine. I started with adult Silkies. After their quarantine period was over, I put them in a cage inside the coop for a couple of weeks. I was a little weary about letting them out with the big girls the first few times, so I would let them out for an hour or so before dark while everyone was free ranging. They did fine with my LF girls (who were partridge Chantechlers). My big roo never even batted an eyelash at the Silkie hens, but the little Silkie roo was a different story. He liked the big girls too. Anyhoo- I think in the end, the individual personalities of your birds is going to determine whether or not the introduction goes smoothly. My Chenties were very laid back. I also have a large coop and an even larger run. When/if you get your Silkies, you may want to consider keeping their crests trimmed (if you get breeder quality birds). My girls would run into the side of the coop because of their crest feathers. I couldn't see them getting away from a grumpy chicken or a predator (the reason I don't have Silkies anymore [​IMG] ). Good luck!

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    My silkies & standards are separated by their run. I have two silkies, one is a roo, the other is a [​IMG]
    They have a 15 x 15 run, and from time to time, one of my BR hens, flies up & over into the silkie run, she wants their food.
    She does not chase them or hurt them, but they do stay away from her when she does come over to visit. [​IMG]

I use to go out & chase her out of the run, now all I do is stand on the deck and call "Here Chick Chick Chick, and shake a cup of BOSS, and she flies back over and comes running.

I would not trust some of my other hens or my roo with them together, so they will live quite happily by themselves in their little silkie yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by