1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies and then Silkies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LukePalmer, Apr 19, 2016.

1. LukePalmer

LukePalmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Essex UK
    Hi guys!!!
    I'm from Essex and have just started to plan and build my chicken house and run.
    I'm doing a run with a apex roof on a solid 5inch concrete Base and two courses of brick around the sides back and front, apart from the door area ofc. My main problem seems to be silkies! I'm gonna purchase two silkie hens and 2 polish hens but for the life of me can't find a silkie breeder near me or at least of that sells silkies with a bit of "poof" lol I do like the show looking ones but all that I've seen lack and type of head/facial feathering. Any good breeders or general chicken breeders near me would be totaly appreciated as it's always good to know where to go. Many thanks all x

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Luke. I'm pretty certain "Yorkshire Coop," will be around to greet you . She will be able to give you links for the UK threads etc., so hopefully you will find others around you. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

1 person likes this.
  3. micah wotring

micah wotring Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

(Relatively new here myself)

1 person likes this.
  4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Like and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

The UK thread is titled "UK members, please say Hi" - its a very active thread and i hope that members there can assist you.

all the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. LukePalmer

LukePalmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Essex UK
    Also guys I was wondering how many chickens can you keep happily in a 16m2 roofed run. This also has a large hen house that stands above ground level in which they would have a man made dust bath under. They would also be let out in the morning for free ranging on a 100ft by 100ft grassed area. Many thanks again x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by