Silkies brooding habits

newmamahen

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 22, 2009
Eugene
It's been a while since I was on here last asking questions, but I have one now! My little Silkie is a little over a year old, and she has gone broody what seems like once every 25 days or so. Could this be real? I finally started keeping track after the 3rd or 4th time and this is what happens. She is out laying lovely little eggs every day for about 25 days, then goes into the coop/nesting boxes and zones out sitting on the other girls eggs for 21 days, then "voila" out she comes and it starts all over again...HELP! I just want to know if this is normal and if she is ok when this happens. She seems super happy when she is out, so I just want to make sure that she's ok. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Quote:
well, seeing as its a silkie, i wouldnt be too surprised or worried.
if you dont want her to go broody, just collect the eggs every day so she has nothing to sit on. if she tries to brood again, pick her up out of the box and put her on the ground.
hope this helps!
smile.png

~Tatiana

Thanks Tatiana! We do pick the eggs out and take her out of the box, however as soon as we walk away, she goes back in. As long as this is not hurting her physically or mentally I will stop worrying. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom