Silkies - Do I have ANY hens??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

So through some trading I acquired these guys, mainly because my sister wanted them. They were very young when we first got them and they're about 5 months old now, i think. I have no idea if I have any girls, but i really hope so.

I am 100% sure the biggest Buff one is a Roo but the other 2 have me baffled.... they have uniform crests but hard feathers in their tails.. Maybe just because they aren't that great of quality? I dunno.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Roo is in the back
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Looks like you have a pair of hens with your rooster.

Some hard feathers in the center of the tail happen in females. They look like hens although I can't really see combs well in these photos.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Okay well that's good to know! The 2 in front have almost no comb, like a hen thier age should... the hard feathers just threw me off, all the Silkie hens i have had in the past had beautiful, fluff only tails, no hard feathers at all!

thanks so much [​IMG]

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:I agree

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The rooster has a fairt amount of gray/black feathers in his tail, is that undesireable for a Buff Silkie?

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:Yes, that would be undesireable for showing, but, yours are not show quality so there is nothing wrong with it. Some of the best looking birds are a mix of colors!

7. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    Quote:I agree

I will 3rd that.

Quote:It is very undesireable, so much so that it has earned the nick name of "smut" it exhibition lingo.
    But for a much loved pet or layer there's nothing wrong with it. The only thing I would say is if you chose to breed please let the buyer of the eggs/chicks know about the color/markings ect.

For PQ's they are very cute [​IMG]

8. Chevis

Chevis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    Quote:I Forth that! [​IMG] Very pretty!

9. tingle

tingle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    beautiful soft colour

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I just stopped by the feed store today and picked up this cute little buff-colored chicks... feathered feet too. the person wasn't sure what it was so i am assuming it came from their "bantam assortment" he said they got in a while back... I THINK it might be a little Cochin, would be wonderful if it was a roo (never thought i would say that!!), if so I will probably rehome this silkie guy and keep the cochin for Sizzle babies.... I Love Sizzles [​IMG]

the new baby also has a really nice amount of feathering on it's legs & feet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by