Silkies fertility

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by feathers4fun, May 17, 2010.

1. feathers4fun

feathers4fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Oregon
    I am new to silkies old to chickens, I am curious if there is a method to improve silky fertility as far as the rooster being able to cover the hen like trimming feathers around the vents, feet etc... and any other methods in general like feed additives. I am feeding an all purpose 20% pellets with scratch as a treat. Thanks

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I had a similar problem with my white Silkie roo; he had the best of intentions (in fertilizing the girls) but always slid off the side, thinking he had completed the task, when he hadn't. Other Silkie breeders on here suggested several things: 1)if I don't show him, "cut" the feathers around his vent; 2)if I do show him, "pluck" the feathers around his vent; 3)make sure the breeders are receiving at least 20% protein every day; and 4)try adding Red Cell to the breeders drinking water (its suppose to increase fertility).

I did all of those things, and the roo still can't complete the task, so I guess its AI next....

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:With so many roosters that need homes... AI? [​IMG] I'd vote: "new rooster." [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. feathers4fun

feathers4fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks for the info people I think a haircut is in order here. I really am not ready to get rid of this particular rooster but if the trim doesn't help I think it will be time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by