Silkies, final gender determination please! (Hopefully)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by asher, Jun 2, 2010.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Okay, I'll tell you what I think they are and you can give me an idea on what you think. Looking them over today and taking pics, I'm not real thrilled with how they've changed/turned out. I think I'm going to be downsizing even more and maybe bringing a few better quality ones in for breeders if I can find them. I am super picky, I know this. [​IMG]

I thought this was a girl, but it's got absolutely funky stuff going on in its crest and it's comb and wattles are getting bigger. A tiny bit of red at the wattle area. [​IMG] It was my favorite. I think it'll be a gorgeous rooster if it gets that funky hair thing sorted out.
    [​IMG]

I think girl. Not thrilled with the quality at all.
    [​IMG]

Pretty positive this is a boy. I am hoping it fills in more b/c it looks puny to me right now in terms of fluff and silkieness. (Yes, I made that word up. [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

Blue silkie...I know cochins have the dark top and lighter on bottom when blue, but I thought silkies were not supposed to have. I believe this is a girl.
    [​IMG]

Pullet, I believe. Pretty, good fluff, good form, but black color is not even.
    [​IMG]

Pullet, I believe. Same issues as above.
    [​IMG]

This is definitely a roo and will not be staying here for sure. Has silver in the hackles and splotchy color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So...any worth keeping? I kind of "put all of my eggs in one basket" and this is all that I have left for chickens. I want the best that I can buy and I am picky and I want to be happy. *sigh* I need to figure out which to keep, which to part with and a breeder to buy a few nice ones from.

Thanks in advance for input.

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I like all the girls quality just if it was not for color =/ Your roos......hmmm I kinda like the second one and the first one. idk

3. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I wouldn't mind the first one as a roo or a hen. It's the only one that I am truly happy with except for that funk going on in the crest. I have no clue what it is. A big clump like 3-4" longer than the rest, but off to the side, not like a normal roosters crest feathers. [​IMG]

4. dede_pira

dede_pira Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Whatever gender they are, I think they are absolutely adorable!!!

5. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    I think your guesses are really good, they seem accurate.

Whatever gender they are, I think they are absolutely adorable!!!

X2!!​

6. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Thanks [​IMG]

7. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

All the splash are cockerels and I personally wouldn't keep any of them. The bottom black is a cockerel. The others, pullets, seem to be fairly decent. Photos 5 & 6, the girls aren't bad but could have more cushion and fullness, they seem to be lacking depth in hind quarters. But I like their front ends. If you could find a different male strong in the hind quarters, I would keep them. I'm not a silkie expert by any means though, so take what I think with a grain of salt. [​IMG]

8. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I forgot to say these were hatched in January. I don't know if they have more growing to do or not.

What do you see wrong with splash #1 as a roo? (other than the funky feathers in the crest ;-) )

9. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Any other input? I'd like to decide this weekend what to do. Think I may keep the top one (to see how it fills out), the blue one and the two black girls, for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by