Silkies from hatcheries?

badwolfe

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2015
Pasadena, MD
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with ordering silkies from online hatcheries. I am in the market for silkie hens or pullets but am having a hard time finding them locally. I know they are really hard to sex until they are several months old. mypetchicken.com charges an extra $8 for pullets, but I'm wondering how successful they are at sexing them. I think I looked at Meyer and they were only selling as a straight run. Thanks!

Young Silkies are very difficult to sex and I don't know of any hatchery that sells sexed Silkie chicks. I've bought Silkies in the past from Ideal Poultry, which is the nations largest hatchery, and while we were very happy with their birds and service, Ideal strictly sells them as straight run.

Yeah, I haven't seen anywhere else that sexes them either. I sent an email to customer service asking how they do it. I'm really curious since it is apparently impossible to sex them early on.

Silkies are really hard to sex until they get older. Pullets can usually be shipped but most don't like to ship Silkie pullets.

Yes, I know they sell them sexed and that you can't sex silkies until they are several months old. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with buying sexed silkies from them and how accurate they were.

has anyone ordered silkies from Strombergs hatchery? if so please post some pics.
263a.png
I'm curious about how they look grown.

Back
Top Bottom