SILKIES = GOOD FOSTER MOM(PIC HEAVY)

Great pictures, I would be reluctant to blend the age groups you have with any other breed except Silkies. They are just social little creatures and are great companions, whether to babies, siblings or people.

Thanks for sharing.

Cute Cute Cute.
love.gif
love.gif
Crap now I want silkies. DH will be an expert carpenter before too long. LOL I just want every pretty chicken I see.

jimnjay,
I had them separated and let them all out to play together in the living room floor.
When I put them back in my new brooder (has 2 separate sections, the silkies paced back and forth at the divider so I removed the divider and let all of them together with full run of the brooder which is 63in. X 27in. X 24in. high.
I felt sorry for the silkies wanting to be with the babies that I just couldn't help myself.
I keep a close eye on them since i'm home during the day, and they've all been fine, although I did lose one chick that never started eating/drinking.
I have 3 buff silkie eggs due next Wednesday but I'm not planning on putting them with the others.

hsm5grls,
That's how i ended up getting some silkies because I want every pretty chicken I see.

Last edited:
Chickemee,

the black/white chicks are mutts.
It's a cross between a black wyandotte bantam rooster and
a silkie/? bantam hen.
Actually, I don't know for sure she's mixed with silkie but that's what I'm thinking, also maybe some cochin in there somewhere. She has a few feathers on her feet, not many.
I had 2 chicks with feathered feet but one of them is the one that didn't make it.
Here's a pic of parents of black and white chicks,
100_0072.jpg

That is a silkie for you!! We had a trio of adult silkies "adopt" hatchery chicks, the hens weren't even broody. They could see the babies and would sit near them all day and cluck softly, we turned them out together (under CLOSE supervision) and they took the babies in right away. It was the sweetest thing ever. Only a silkie!

Back
Top Bottom