Silkies ground roosting???

MagicTheFamiliar

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2018
South Carolina
So we have 7 chickens about 6 months old that we keep in a protected run most of the time (bc raccoons + hawks). We have hardware cloth wrapped around all sides and bottom. The 3 standard chickens sleep in their coop no problem, but we have a separate coop for the 4 silkies. From NIGHT 1 they needed to be carried into the coop or else they dogpile in a random spot on the ground. I've been physically picking up the birds and locking them in their coop at night but they just wont recognize it as "house. protection. nest." They never even try to climb up the ramp which is just inches off the ground. (They're fine walking down it every morning though)

This has gone on for MONTHS and i'm about to leave for classes so I will probably have to get my sister or someone to do it. I read that sometimes silkies just do this but Idk how I feel about them being exposed from all sides at night, (albeit inside a protected run) and then just laying eggs all over the ground when chicken puberty hits. Does anyone else just leave them be, or are silkie owners used to manually moving them every night? At this point IDK if they'll ever learn.

I had the same problem for awhile until I learned what I needed to do and read many articles!:wee
You need to physically lock them in there coop for at least 2 weeks and DO NOT let them out... of course supply them with the necessary food, water, and grit they need ( plus shade) They will learn to roost while there in there, and make it there "home." Every night they will learn to go in there coop when it gets darker.
Hope this helps! Good luck!! :thumbsup

My Silkies always just find a spot to pile up. My big girls roost up High as do my seramas but the Silkies just hog pile. It’s adorable. It could be that there’s not a safe enclosed space for them to pile up so they’re ok in the middle of the run

I had the same problem for awhile until I learned what I needed to do and read many articles!:wee
You need to physically lock them in there coop for at least 2 weeks and DO NOT let them out... of course supply them with the necessary food, water, and grit they need ( plus shade) They will learn to roost while there in there, and make it there "home." Every night they will learn to go in there coop when it gets darker.
Hope this helps! Good luck!! :thumbsup
Thanks for the reply!

The coop is 4 x 3 ft
To be clear, I need to lock all 4 silkies in this coop for two full weeks without ever letting them out? what about changing bedding? It kinda seems like a dark, tight space for so many birds (even though they're small) for such a long time!

My Silkies always just find a spot to pile up. My big girls roost up High as do my seramas but the Silkies just hog pile. It’s adorable. It could be that there’s not a safe enclosed space for them to pile up so they’re ok in the middle of the run
It sure is cute but I wonder why they wouldn't see a coop as safe... they must not think it could be any safer than the run itself :confused:

Thanks for the reply!

The coop is 4 x 3 ft
To be clear, I need to lock all 4 silkies in this coop for two full weeks without ever letting them out? what about changing bedding? It kinda seems like a dark, tight space for so many birds (even though they're small) for such a long time!
Yes, although you need to make sure that there is ventilation for them!! Plus there is only 4 of them... trust me it works!:thumbsup
Just make sure you change the bedding before you set them in there for 2 weeks!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom