Silkies Of A Different Color

How did you get your silkie in that colors as Salmon? :O He's pretty!!

Studied genetics, worked with select silkies possessing and carrying particular genetic traits, and began breeding for a certain color and pattern. Not for the faint of heart, and takes time, no quick fixes. But have been breeding showing top quality show birds for years, and I have lots of time to get the color right. The foundation birds were purebred silkies. No outcrossing to other breeds, as some have asked, but just a study in color genetics.

I got 3 silkie chicks from a local breeder- one black, one blue and this one:

I'm new to raising silkies. I have only had white silkies purchased as adults before. Is it splash or paint? What's the difference? Also I see brown patches starting to come in as she is feathering out.

i posted this pic a week ago on the silkie thread an someone said it was a
Splash, i was just wondering at what age will it start getting its splashes.
I ususally see some spots develope in 3 to 5 weeks but others come in earlier. Watch the wing feathers. White chicks are usually born yellow unless they carry the silver gene and are born white.

This is my silver partridge hen
Very pretty!
I got 3 silkie chicks from a local breeder- one black, one blue and this one:

I'm new to raising silkies. I have only had white silkies purchased as adults before. Is it splash or paint? What's the difference? Also I see brown patches starting to come in as she is feathering out.
It doesn't look splash in this photo. It may be silver partridge. Is the black pattern the same on both sides of the chick?

i posted this pic a week ago on the silkie thread an someone said it was a Splash, i was just wondering at what age will it start getting its splashes.
Your baby looks alot like my splash chick, s/he was and has been all white for a while. I went away for the weekend and when I got back I checked it. It now has one blue feather in its crest and one on its wing :gig I think it's around 5 weeks old now. Nikki

I ususally see some spots develope in 3 to 5 weeks but others come in earlier. Watch the wing feathers. White chicks are usually born yellow unless they carry the silver gene and are born white.
Very pretty!
It doesn't look splash in this photo. It may be silver partridge. Is the black pattern the same on both sides of the chick?

There are black feathers coming in with white feathers all over but not symmetrically ifthats what you mean.

Your baby looks alot like my splash chick, s/he was and has been all white for a while. I went away for the weekend and when I got back I checked it. It now has one blue feather in its crest and one on its wing
gig.gif
I think it's around 5 weeks old now.
Nikki
I hope it is a splash. I'm going away this weekend so hopefully I will have spots, but if I don't i will still love it.

I may have a chocolate baby. I didn't have Cocoa as a chick so I don't know what she looked like - but I have a baby that is milk chocolate around the eyes and chin with lighter petticoat fluff. I know they change so much - so I guess it could be most anything. But wanted to share with you guys as I said I would.

She's right in the center here.

Looking right at the camera center left.

Center left again not in focus but that profile is just too cute!

Next to a black chick in the next two shots, shows the color difference.

Back
Top Bottom