Silkies Of A Different Color

I trim around my silkies and polish eyes as well. Amazing how much more confident they are when they can see!
Not sure about comb genetics, but the SOP is mulberry colored walnut comb.:)
If you are breeding your silkies for fun, then it probably does not matter.

I was about to trim one of my pullets today but decided to try the hair tie idea ..probably won't last long though I tried white to match so the others won't try to peck her... Before and after pics... She was lovin the new hair style!
IMG20201012114242~2.jpg
IMG20201012114558~2.jpg
IMG20201012121455.jpg

I know this is an old thread, just thought I would ask here and see if anyone responds! I have 3 paint silkie hens, and a young silkie rooster that is either black or blue with red leakage. What color would I get if I bred them and is it a bad idea? (I know there are many who believe in only breeding to the SOP, however without the adventurous, none of these beautiful color variants posted above would exist!) Thanks!
AE5A295C-1B5E-4138-8CB5-D137E4817897.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Please excuse how dirty they are as it has rained here all week and they have been playing in the mud! The last pictured paint is still rather young and hasn’t developed fully yet (her spots are just now showing and her crest isn’t fully developed).

Last edited:
WHAT IS THE COLOR OF THAT ROO AND HOW DID YOU GET IT!
Some have said it may be red pyle colour.. it's random because my rooster mixed with my white hens makes all different colour offspring.
Pic of rooster.. I think he is calico colour? He has red/buff colour on his wings and a green sheen on his tail. I love unique colour Silkies! Esp with red leakage.
IMG_20210117_105951.jpg

I have been wanting to try this with my silkies and polish! Was afraid they would totally freak out about it or get pecked lol
They love seeing everything when crest is trimmed or tied! It's a whole new world to discover they never seen before :lol: ..then the hair tie fell out when cockerel tried mating her so she was blinded by crest again haha..:lol: back to walking into walls.. better off to trim so they can see properly, especially if you free range.

They love seeing everything when crest is trimmed or tied! It's a whole new world to discover they never seen before :lol: ..then the hair tie fell out when cockerel tried mating her so she was blinded by crest again haha..:lol: back to walking into walls.. better off to trim so they can see properly, especially if you free range.
Would a clip work maybe? Like a Barrett?

Back
Top Bottom