Silkies Of A Different Color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Brody's Broodello, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:I'll have to have a photo day around here, when I get home from Crossroads!

2. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Hey Em...my chick from you looks like this one except...it is more gray/black where yours looks brown/red. and it has a black top knot. The crest is not big and poofy like a regular silkie but she is really beautiful. Feet are feathered very nicely...like yours she has not split feathering and soft smooth feathers. Wish we could figure out how you can duplicate. [​IMG] One of my SG roos really has an eye for her!

[​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Hey Em...my chick from you looks like this one except...it is more gray/black where yours looks brown/red. and it has a black top knot. The crest is not big and poofy like a regular silkie but she is really beautiful. Feet are feathered very nicely...like yours she has not split feathering and soft smooth feathers. Wish we could figure out how you can duplicate. [​IMG] One of my SG roos really has an eye for her!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/70714_s5031032.jpg

In both cases, the pattern is penciling, on the first, gold; on the second, silver.

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Sonoran, I have messaged Cara but not response yet. I'm wondering if a silver partridge might work with that awesome boy?

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello [​IMG] I was hoping someone could help me figure out what color to pair this pullet with. She came from an egg marked partridge, but I recently sent a photo to the breeder, who said she may be half porcelain (or from the breeder's original porcelain pair). What color should I breed her to? I don't have any porcelain males, but I am about to get a lavender cockerel. I also have some buffs growing out.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any suggestions!

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:If she carries a lavender gene then I would breed her to a lavender or a porcelain. If she doesn't then I would breed her to a blue partridge or a partridge.

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:i breed her to a partridge
    i still say she look splash partrdge

8. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Quote:She is gorgeous! So pretty!

Happy-Hens

9. The Lisser

Quote:If she carries a lavender gene then I would breed her to a lavender or a porcelain. If she doesn't then I would breed her to a blue partridge or a partridge.

I don't know for sure if she carries the lavender gene, but I am guessing she does since she is at least half porcelain. I have a new lavender cockerel arriving soon! [​IMG] I think I'll put her with my partridge males first and then after the lavender is out of quarantine I'll try putting her with him. I will try to report back with my "findings". [​IMG]

10. The Lisser

Quote:i breed her to a partridge
    i still say she look splash partrdge

I am hoping I can finish getting my partridge pen ready today! I can't wait to see what her babies will look like. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by