Silkies-overly fluffy faces impairing vision?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silverlining, Apr 11, 2009.

1. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    All right, so I am going to get my first chickens. *jumps around excitedly* I think we are going to start with 2 Brahmas, 2 Easter Eggers, and 2 Silkies, but I heard that the Silkies will sometimes get picked on, partially because they are more docile due to impaired vision. I desperately want the Silkies because I have heard so much about their darling personalities, and lets face it, they are just darn cute. They would be beloved pets though, and I really want to try and keep the “bullying” to a minimum in my soon to be flock of 6. Which brings me to my point- is there anything you can do to help them see better, such as trimming the tips of the feathers around their eyes, or is this Silkie sacrilege? Also I know that with some birds the blood supply extends part way up the feathers, so is this true with the feathers around the Silkie’s faces? That would be a TRAGIC thing to find out by trial and error so I definitely want to find out from someone who knows. Thanks!

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you can trim them without sacrificing looks... [​IMG]

You'll probably need a quick hairdressing lesson, but it can be done...

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I would suggest you keeping the silkies pinned up away from the other birds. They will get picked on and before you know it they will be plucked bald or dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by