Silkies - Pullets or Cockerels?

I think they are both boys
sad.png

Quote:
Thanks, Poultry Queen. I got these at a feed store so it could be. Truffle is noticeably smaller than Sparkle as well, and they're supposed to be the same age - I guess I'll have to be patient, not one of my strong suits
hmm.png

Quote:
He's also quite fluffy, as I saw on another thread
big_smile.png
and gorgeous, as is your new pullet.
I see the similarities with the boy and differences with your girl - thank you so much for posting the pics! These silkies are pretty stand-offish too, just like my for-sure cockerel. I've been around silkie pullets / hens that are much friendlier than these guys. And when I brought their cage into their coop and opened the door for the first time, Truffle was the first one out and announced the all-clear - my for-sure cockerel hid in the back behind the girls
hmm.png
They're the only silkies I have in my group of 13 at the moment so that would make 3 roosters (better than 2, though!). I'll let things percolate for a while - I'd like to keep them because they're both really pretty and I love silkies. And I still have some brahmas that might surprise me as well - I got them all as chicks pretty much at the same time so we'll see what happens. Thanks again -
Amy

Glad my pictures helped
big_smile.png
I actually told the breeder I got them from about the streamers being indicators of boys, he didn't even know! Seemed very interested in the thought of it though
tongue.png
He had a hard time sexing them. I picked the ones with the biggest crests and smallest combs and a lot had streamers.

My roo is quite stand-off-ish as well. Once I got ahold of him he will sit with me. He is a bugger to catch though!
barnie.gif

My pullets are very calm and docile. They are easy to get, and will snuggle
smile.png

Surprising that the breeder wasn't aware of the streamers. Things that make you go, hmmmm.... Neither of mine is hard to catch at all - they don't want to be caught but won't run from me. Sparkle in particular is mostly accommodating in being picked up, and I attribute it to a pasty vent issue we battled for about a week at the beginning. Honestly, the reason I bought Sparkle to begin with was the vent was completely caked over. I went to the feed store one day, saw Sparkle, swore under my breath, went back and saw the same pasty vent the next day and knew if I didn't buy this chick, it would die. And of course had to buy the last black silkie in the cage with Sparkle so Sparkle would have company
smile.png
I mean, you can't have one small bird in with 12 large birds, right? Isn't that one of the ways chicken math works? Help me out, folks
lol.png

Quote:
I was hollering at my kids to quit whatever they were doing, they were shaking the house
gig.gif
They come running in with their worldly possessions scared saying it's not us. I said go tell your daddy to stop whatever he is doing he is going to rock this house right off the blocks!!

Then the neighbor called screaming she thought her old house was going to collapse. I would have never dreamed it was an earthquake. But, it wasn't too bad.

Some silkies mature slower and some faster. They can crow at young ages, I have heard of it before.

I live in earthquake country and it feels just like that!!! "Kids!!! What in the world are you doing? Are you jumping off the top bunk again?!?!" Too funny - and I'm glad it wasn't too bad.
I'm taking a 'wait and see' attitude. If they're boys, it's OK - but want to see how they all mature and what their attitude is...

Quote:
I'm guessing a cockerel on the splash. He's got the long hackles like a cockerel. I am unsure of the black one though. It might be a roo but like someone said, it could be a hatchery quality pullet.

Got them both at the feed store, so it's possible. Splash is significantly larger than the black one - we'll see...
Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks, Poultry Queen. I got these at a feed store so it could be. Truffle is noticeably smaller than Sparkle as well, and they're supposed to be the same age - I guess I'll have to be patient, not one of my strong suits
hmm.png

If Sparkle is bigger then he's most likely a roo and Truffles is a pullet. Good Luck with them! I love silkies
love.gif

Quote:
hmm.png

If Sparkle is bigger then he's most likely a roo and Truffles is a pullet. Good Luck with them! I love silkies
love.gif

Sparkle is definitely bigger, and he does more of the roo stance - head popping up, etc. We'll see - I love silkies, too, and I think Sparkle has such pretty markings...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom