Silkies roosting?

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have 4 silkies that are 20 weeks old. Pretty much all our other breeds like to roost at night but the silkies seem to prefer snuggling together on the bedding. Is this a permanent preference or do they just start roosting later than other breeds? We are wanting to get them outside in a chicken tractor and are wondering if we need to build a little shelf for them to sleep on or be out of the wet... What do you Silkie pro's think? THis is our first experience with them and are not sure what to expect with them. Any input on the chicken tractor idea would be welcome.

My silkies do not roost. As far as the tractor I would build something for them to sleep in and make sure that nothing can get them.
Take Care
Cristina

My silkie's roost now but didn't in the beginning. I did have to put in 3 roosting poles so that they could jump on each one to get to the top roost. They are 4 months old now and are the first ones to go to roost at night.

My silkies started roosting at 6 months... then started roosing outside at 1 year!!! The babies though sleep in a pile... and my copy pullet now sleeps with them in that pile... She used to roost.

My silkies are a over a year old and I have never been able to get them to roost (willingly). They prefer to sleep in a nest box. I have tried unsucessfully to convince them they should roost. All my birds free range in my yard during the day and the flock splits and goes to their respective coops at dusk. I then close up both coops and I have always put the silkies on the roost at night. They almost never went up there on their own. Finally I admitted defeat and stopped doing that about a month ago and took the roost out (makes a little more room). I have six nest boxes in there for 6 birds, but sometimes more than one will sleep in the same nest.
smile.png

Thanks for the input folks. I think we will build a ledge off the ground with straw on it for them to snuggle in. It is too cute how they are bundle up together but not very good as far as predators go! Oh well, we have to build chicken knox tractors anyway as there is a VERY big dog that rather fancies our chickens for sport and he is very elusive when we are around. So we will make sure they are cosy and safe until such time as they may take a liking to roosting. I will also try and make sure that they have 'steps' up to their roost to see if that will encourage them. Thanks

Our Silkie Roo is quite the little character, but he won't won't be found on a roost unless I put him there. Then he looks around like he's atop the Sear's Tower: "Purty view, gotta go!"

What he seems to love best is sticking his little beak in a corner under the nest boxes (where the unused roosts reside) and digging in for the night. Very cute!

Mine like to sleep in a pile on the floor. They are all over 1 year old, but I guess the floor is more comfy. They are awful cute all piled up at night.
smile.png
Only the Silkie roo will roost.

Back
Top Bottom