Silkies sitting on eggs... Day 22... Nothing : (

tuitui

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 28, 2008
My first hatch... I have read from other posts on this site that sometimes in incubators the temperature is too low and the hatching can take up to 25 days. How about when silkies are sitting on the eggs???? My two girls have been sitting soooo tight on some buff orbington eggs for almost 22 days now... One of them I have never even seen getting off the eggs at all!!! I candled a few of the eggs yesterday and while I couldn't make out any shapes the eggs are most definitely not see through like the unfertilized egg I compared them with. Light only went through where I'd expect the air bubble to be at. So I'm assuming I have live ones. I hope! I'm in Dallas and it has been a little cooler for the past few days... In the 50's during the night. Could this delay the hatching??? Thanks!

First.....
welcome-byc.gif

The temps droping at night should have nothing to do with them being late !!!!!! As long as your hens have been sitting tight !!!!! Are you sure you have been counting the days right ????

Usually the only thing that causes a broody to be late is if sometimes they get mixed up and set on the wrong nests, chilling them for a while. It does not hurt anything just makes them hatch a day or so late. Im betting you get some fuzzybutts in the next day or so!

Day 23 and still nothing!!! Should I try and open one up to see if there's anything inside? Of course there is the possibility that these eggs are not fertile as I bought them online and do not really know the source... BUT when candling them they sure look nothing like unfertilized eggs... Could they look solid because they're rotten inside??

Oh BTW... I forgot to say... Thanks y'all for your responses/concern - This website is great!

Back
Top Bottom