Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
One of my silkie pullets laid her first egg yesterday, any tips for figuring out who was laying? I know with pink skinned breeds their combs often get more red around laying but with the dark silkie skin I can't tell with my girls. Going off behavior I've got two girls around the same age who are getting more vocal and searching around so I'm guessing one of them. I've got a couple girls that have/had health issues so I want to make sure not to use their eggs for hatching when they start laying. When we can I'm hoping to build a separate pen for the girls I don't want to breed.

One of my silkie pullets laid her first egg yesterday, any tips for figuring out who was laying? I know with pink skinned breeds their combs often get more red around laying but with the dark silkie skin I can't tell with my girls. Going off behavior I've got two girls around the same age who are getting more vocal and searching around so I'm guessing one of them. I've got a couple girls that have/had health issues so I want to make sure not to use their eggs for hatching when they start laying. When we can I'm hoping to build a separate pen for the girls I don't want to breed.

Checking the pubic bone spacing is usually my go to method when checking which ones have just started laying :)

Just below the vent you'll feel two pointy bones. Check the space between the two bones with your fingers.

I tend to find with mine, 2 fingers spacing or less, they aren't laying. Anything more they usually are.

Compare a few of your POL birds and the one with the biggest spacing is most likely the one that gave you the first egg!

Last edited:
Checking the pubic bone spacing is usually my go to method when checking which ones have just started laying :)

Just above the vent you'll feel two pointy bones. Check the space between the two bones with your fingers.

I tend to find with mine, 2 fingers spacing or less, they aren't laying. Anything more they usually are.

Compare a few of your POL birds and the one with the biggest spacing is most likely the one that gave you the first egg!
The pubic bones are below the vent, I use this method also.

Aweee, whos Veera?
THe little Wyandotte mix
CB3D8FB2-5BBA-4F17-A5AD-A19C7FC2E973.jpeg

Just below the vent you'll feel two pointy bones. Check the space between the two bones with your fingers.

The pubic bones are below the vent, I use this method also.

Thank you both so much for the advice, it sounds extremely helpful! I will definitely try this method out tomorrow. :)

THe little Wyandotte mix
View attachment 1938274

Aww I'm so sorry to hear you lost her, she was a beautiful little chicken. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom