Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
We all love chick photos on this thread!
Post some when you get them, if you like.😊
Definitely! I'll be ordering them after I get the coop ready so they'll probably be shipped by June depending on if they're in stock, right now the earliest I could have them shipped is April 4. I can't wait for puff ball chickies😊

I have a question regarding showgirl silkies. In my quest that lead to Chiquita's purchase the one thing I forgot to ask is if they knew if there was naked neck breeding behind her. I know my boy does not and I do not want showgirl silkies. To get a potential naked neck does one parent have to be a naked neck? I know the area she came from I've saw several postings for showgirl silkies and even though a few were pullets/hens I passed on them.

I have a question regarding showgirl silkies. In my quest that lead to Chiquita's purchase the one thing I forgot to ask is if they knew if there was naked neck breeding behind her. I know my boy does not and I do not want showgirl silkies. To get a potential naked neck does one parent have to be a naked neck? I know the area she came from I've saw several postings for showgirl silkies and even though a few were pullets/hens I passed on them.
The naked neck (NN) gene is incomplete dominant, it will either be expressed or not expressed. Two copies of the gene gives you a full naked neck or "showgirl" in Silkies. One copy will give you a "bowtie". If both your birds have regular feathers then they can not have the NN gene.😊

The naked neck (NN) gene is incomplete dominant, it will either be expressed or not expressed. Two copies of the gene gives you a full naked neck or "showgirl" in Silkies. One copy will give you a "bowtie". If both your birds have regular feathers then they can not have the NN gene.😊
I can not begin to tell you how relieved I am to hear this. I know a showgirl would have the same personality and attitude I have come to love but I just do not care for the look. Now the fun is going to come in seeing what colors they produce. Black x Buff, but who knows what is behind them, although there is a chance my boy could carry recessive white. One of the chicks that didn't make it out of the shell when Branch and Poppy hatched was white, and the people I got the eggs from have produced 2 more whites from their black breeding group.

So I had to share with the Silkie lovers…I had the opportunity to acquire a couple of older pullets from a local breeder and I took it…it’s so hard to find for sure pullet silkies. I’ve only had them a couple of days and they’re a bit freaked out, but I know it’s tougher when they’re a bit older. They’ll be in quarantine for awhile in my dining room, and I’m being extra careful since my flock is just getting over fowl pox. Sia got to spend some time out front this morning and she perked up a lot. They’re both so sweet 😍 I hope they get along well with Betty and Fuzzy!

Meet Sia -

1CA4CFF2-74CE-432F-A0A3-1BCFB6993F05.jpeg

2ED9A1E8-4EB7-44B3-A20A-7546E6242109.jpeg

And Cher -

1D878373-7A22-4321-AE31-17D3CE3DE197.jpeg

60447C8F-81A0-48EC-A138-B1ED34BF7518.jpeg

So I had to share with the Silkie lovers…I had the opportunity to acquire a couple of older pullets from a local breeder and I took it…it’s so hard to find for sure pullet silkies. I’ve only had them a couple of days and they’re a bit freaked out, but I know it’s tougher when they’re a bit older. They’ll be in quarantine for awhile in my dining room, and I’m being extra careful since my flock is just getting over fowl pox. Sia got to spend some time out front this morning and she perked up a lot. They’re both so sweet 😍 I hope they get along well with Betty and Fuzzy!

Meet Sia -

View attachment 2961345

View attachment 2961346

And Cher -

View attachment 2961347

View attachment 2961348
They are adorable!!! Im sure they will love their quarantine spot too 😍 love their crests!

Meet Sia -

View attachment 2961345

View attachment 2961346

And Cher -

View attachment 2961347

View attachment 2961348
Awe! Luv em!!!

Back
Top Bottom