Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Any hope of this egg hatching? Possibly damaged from another hen laying her egg on top of broody. Due in about a week. I tried to seperate her with the eggs but she escaped and went back to her own nest. I'll have to try again.View attachment 3319896

Candle wax dropped carefully on and around it will seal it. My brain finally kicked in after blood sugar dropped to normal. I've done it before.

I’d like some opinions please ☺️. Is there a chance that silkies will never use a ramp from the coop into the run?

We moved our chicks from the brooder to the coop about 2.5 weeks ago and they still won’t use the ramp out to the run. If I place them on the ramp they’ll go up it, but they won’t get on the ramp themselves. And the only way they go “down” is if they get pushed out by the others (again, not using the ramp, just falling off the side).

Wondering how long to wait for them to learn the ramp before trying an alternative. Are silkies usually ramp adverse?!

I’d like some opinions please ☺️. Is there a chance that silkies will never use a ramp from the coop into the run?

We moved our chicks from the brooder to the coop about 2.5 weeks ago and they still won’t use the ramp out to the run. If I place them on the ramp they’ll go up it, but they won’t get on the ramp themselves. And the only way they go “down” is if they get pushed out by the others (again, not using the ramp, just falling off the side).

Wondering how long to wait for them to learn the ramp before trying an alternative. Are silkies usually ramp adverse?!
I would try trimming their poof so they can see better. Mine adapted to the ramp better when they could see better. Most of my silkies adapted to it eventually, but I do have one silkie who really hates steep ramps of any kind...so it may depend on the silkie but I would try trimming poof feathers first! :)

Mine all use a ramp or jump up to roost. Maybe they need training? It might take many nights of training to get them to do it.. try treats on the ramp?

Mine all use the "spiral" staircase and are used to sleeping on their porch of the coop. Now that it is cold they need to go inside the coop. So I literally have to force them to go in there and shut the pop door on em, then let em out every morning. Ugh!
None of my silkies roost. Only my cochins roost and they are the youngest in the flock!

Thanks for the replies!

We have trimmed the crests and beards of our chicks so I don’t think sight is an issue, but will take a closer look again tomorrow.

I’ve been trying to train them on the ramp but it’s tough. They don’t like *any* treats except mash 🙄. But the training has taught them to walk up when placed on the ramp so maybe they are learning just VERY slowly.

I’ve been helping them in and out of the coop each morning and evening but I’m in Canada and it’s getting cold so I’d prefer they learn on their own before winter actually hits.

This is a pic of the ramp…I wonder if they’d be more comfortable using it if it were wider (at least as wide as the coop door)? I also want to properly extend it to ground level so there’s not a big hop up. Our former silkies used it no problem but we didn’t get them as chicks and they were raised with standard sized chickens who taught them to roost, etc.
015A9937-7D94-4B27-A7FA-023CDEA9C2A2.jpeg

It all depends on the breeding line I think. I know people who've had no issues getting silkies to use ramps or roost. Mine won't. They will attempt to fly if they can to reach something and they will use steps. I have cinder blocks stacked where ramps might be used.

The birds from eggs I hatched last year will roost. Their offspring this year with my birds are split on it. The only others I have that roost have ameraucana in their background. No ramps in there because of the ones who think they are worse than snow.

I have Silkies who roost and those who don't. It's an individual choice on the bird's part, I think.

Btw, I just gotta say....who doesn't LOVE Silkies? I only have one left. All mine are gone except that one little hen, but seeing pictures of them just warms my heart. I have lots of chickens but Silkies will forever share a special place.

Back
Top Bottom