Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
This is my first broody silkie but I’m learning fast that they make great moms!

I got 8 day olds (well, 1-2 day olds, they hatched 07/02 and 07/03). They look roughly split as 4 partridge/buff/mixes and 4 white/lavender/maybe diluted buff/mixes, so I gave the partridges to the broody, and the other 4 I have in the brooder. I also have 6 eggs incubating (hatching 07/06) that will be added to the brooder - assuming they hatch. I’m nervous lol.

We are building a new coop that will be split, hence the splitting of the chicks. This is one of the ways I’m attempting to be able to keep more roos lol.

I’m trying to tell myself not to get too attached early on because of the rehoming aspect. We’ll see how well that goes 😂

Your Martin is a GORGEOUS boy! We have the same taste in chickens…when I was deciding which breed to raise it was between silkies and polish. They just look so “extra” and I love it lol.
Oh yes those silkie mamas are so dedicated, my two co-broodies just recently weaned their chickies at 10 weeks!

And the one still sleeps with her chicks.

Another kept her chicks for 3 months! They go broody all the time also. So if you need eggs hatched your in luck almost half the year hahahaha 😊

Oh yes those silkie mamas are so dedicated, my two co-broodies just recently weaned their chickies at 10 weeks!

And the one still sleeps with her chicks.

Another kept her chicks for 3 months! They go broody all the time also. So if you need eggs hatched your in luck almost half the year hahahaha 😊
I've carefully watched Poof Poof my first silkie hen.. She lays eggs for approximately 3 weeks (I collect all but the last 5-6) and then she goes broody. Sits 3 weeks, raises those chicks for 4 weeks, at that point dad takes over the care of the chicks and she starts laying again.. rinse, repeat. Steady as clockwork.

This is my first broody silkie but I’m learning fast that they make great moms!

I got 8 day olds (well, 1-2 day olds, they hatched 07/02 and 07/03). They look roughly split as 4 partridge/buff/mixes and 4 white/lavender/maybe diluted buff/mixes, so I gave the partridges to the broody, and the other 4 I have in the brooder. I also have 6 eggs incubating (hatching 07/06) that will be added to the brooder - assuming they hatch. I’m nervous lol.

We are building a new coop that will be split, hence the splitting of the chicks. This is one of the ways I’m attempting to be able to keep more roos lol.

I’m trying to tell myself not to get too attached early on because of the rehoming aspect. We’ll see how well that goes 😂

Your Martin is a GORGEOUS boy! We have the same taste in chickens…when I was deciding which breed to raise it was between silkies and polish. They just look so “extra” and I love it lol.

I have been there. I first had 1 coop. then slowly but surely built the other 5 so I could keep more roos. now I have 16 coops, lol.

I've carefully watched Poof Poof my first silkie hen.. She lays eggs for approximately 3 weeks (I collect all but the last 5-6) and then she goes broody. Sits 3 weeks, raises those chicks for 4 weeks, at that point dad takes over the care of the chicks and she starts laying again.. rinse, repeat. Steady as clockwork.
That’s awesome 😊

I’m letting my broody raise her chicks in the coop that she shares with one other hen and rooster.

Good news is she’s already a great mama ❤️. Bad news, my husband said he saw the rooster and other hen sort of pecking/attacking the babies this morning. I wasn’t home so I didn’t see the severity of it (when I looked in on them early morning they were both indifferent to the chicks). And when I did get home this evening, my normally friendly rooster went for my feet.

Is it possible the presence of the chicks has made him aggressive (or maybe this is just usual hormonal behaviour since he’s almost a year)?

I’m letting my broody raise her chicks in the coop that she shares with one other hen and rooster.

Good news is she’s already a great mama ❤️. Bad news, my husband said he saw the rooster and other hen sort of pecking/attacking the babies this morning. I wasn’t home so I didn’t see the severity of it (when I looked in on them early morning they were both indifferent to the chicks). And when I did get home this evening, my normally friendly rooster went for my feet.

Is it possible the presence of the chicks has made him aggressive (or maybe this is just usual hormonal behaviour since he’s almost a year)?
My guess is he doesn't want anyone around the chicks. A few of my free ranging chicks will wander in to the back free range area where Lil Boy Blue and his gals live. They casually wander in and out of his pen when the door is open for him and his ladies to free range. When I try to redirect them out of his pen and they squeal, he comes running and attacks me. He's protecting those youngins as though they were his own. I respect him for that. I've tried to tell him I'm not hurting the little ones, but he doesn't believe me. He's gonna make an excellent papa.

My guess is he doesn't want anyone around the chicks. A few of my free ranging chicks will wander in to the back free range area where Lil Boy Blue and his gals live. They casually wander in and out of his pen when the door is open for him and his ladies to free range. When I try to redirect them out of his pen and they squeal, he comes running and attacks me. He's protecting those youngins as though they were his own. I respect him for that. I've tried to tell him I'm not hurting the little ones, but he doesn't believe me. He's gonna make an excellent papa.
That’s a relief. He is such a good boy so makes sense that his entire personality wouldn’t change in a day.

I was worried when my husband said he was “attacking” the chicks. I asked him for details on what he was doing and he said “you know, being mean”. So I’ll have to check them out tomorrow when I’m home. Love the man, but I don’t trust his interpretation of the situation lol.

Back
Top Bottom