Silkies - Tired of Guessing!

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
Going by their crests and stature, I am assuming they are pullets. Those of you that breed them, can you confirm or deny? They are 12 weeks.

82238_othersilkie.jpg

82238_blacksilkie.jpg

Also, is the first one a partridge? S/he's out of a black w/ gold hackle leakage (hatchery) and either an Orp or white Silkie cockerel.

Thanks!

ETA: Both have straight combs at this point. The white Silkie cockerel I had was also hatchery stock, and started with a straight comb that eventually "ribboned" (like looking at ribbon candy from the side) into a cross between a straight and walnut comb.

Last edited:
its really to soon to tell for sure at 20 weeks it might be easier to tell at this point they do appear to be pullets

Top one looks like a beatiful grey partridge.
love.gif

I'm not completely sure on the second.

Could go either way. The first one even looks like it could be a roo too. Wouldn't surprise me..

I am not saying they are girl, or boy, as there is nothing to determine it either way
tongue.png

Silkies can be tough, hatchery quality birds tend to be easier to tell and earlier to tell on though...but to be 100% sure I say wait another 1-2 months..

BUT for the sake of guessing and the fact I really think that one is a girl I will give it a go!
smile.png

#1 the coloring is silver partridge or gray...also in this variation the coloring is indicitive of a girl and the body stature being closer to the ground, very horizontal - is more a pullet thing... and over all look screams girl. The other one, I can't really tell anything from the picture but it looks like it may be starting to develop streamers in the back, sooooo I'm leaning to a boy.

My guess is you have two pullets. By 12 weeks, my black silkie roo was already sporting a funky hair-do. These ladies look like they have nice, round tops!

Kim

Back
Top Bottom