1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies together with Red Reproduction?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cynthia 085, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Warning! Read at your own risk! Wall of Text ahead!

Hi :)

I got a Red Reproduction, Ancona, and Buff. All are hens and are sweet girls.

So I have some silkies I want to introduce into the flock.

I have read countless posts here. I don't know how to go about this please help me so that I can be prepared.

Some argue that you can integrate silkies into an existing older different types of chicken flock; others state that the silkies are not meant to be mixed into other flocks because of their disability to see, their docile nature, their small size, and their vaulted skulls.

So what should I do?

I love all of my chickens so I don't want issues or excess fighting; I did read up on "establishing the Pecking order' I am aware that they will peck each other; I just don't want the silkies suffering brain damage and being constantly bullied.

When I decided to get silkies I did research (read articles online) about their compatibility with other chickens and since many said that they can integrate them into older flocks I thought it would work out, but I am not so sure now...

If I need to get another chicken coop for the silkies that is fine by me. We have a lot of backyard space and have no dogs or cats so the chickens have all the yard.

I have 3 hens as mentioned above. Roosters are not allowed in my city.
    I have 4 silkie chicks; they are varying ages from 3 weeks to 2 and 1/2 months.
    One silkie has a Vaulted skull.

I am aware that they are far too young. I will not attempt anything until they are way older. I just need information on how to go about this so that when the time comes I have all the necessary equipment and know when and when not to interfere.

How do I introduce them?
    If I get a coop for them will they still fight when they cross each other in the yard?

The buff is not mean the ones that are a bit bossy are the Red Reproduction and the Ancona. My neighbor has chickens and these two are always mean to their chickens (they try to peck the chickens) from the other side of the fence.

Thank you very much!
    Cynthia

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I had silkies integrated with regular breeds. But I would not recommend it. Silkies will always be on the bottom of the order and they have a tough time hopping to the nests and roosts. Their living accomodation need to be tailor-fit. If you have the room, perhaps have a silkie coop with a shared run would be feasible.

My silkies did everything with their big sisters. But they were picked off by hawks while free-ranging.

3. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Thanks!

I think I will go with the "silkie chicken coop" and have them in their little place to themselves.

As you stated they can share the yard hopefully with no ill bullying.

Cynthia :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by