Silkies week by week pictures

@LynnaePB Snuggle is eating less and feels really hot. Did you link me the tube feeding information? I can’t seem to find it now. How often would I tube feed if I do? I think eating is wearing him out since he has to straighten his neck.

Aww I'm so sorry to hear he isn't doing too well. :(

I just linked to the syringe/feeding tube combo I use. I don't have any articles on hand on the best way to do it unfortunately.

I try to feed at least twice a day, three would be even better but the two will work. I make sure to give them enough that their crop fills up. My husband holds them and helps open the beak and I put the tube several inches down/into the throat aiming for the end to go into the crop. Usually it goes really smoothly. The only problem I've run into occasionally is the food starting to come up. When this happens I quickly remove the tube and let them swallow it (I'm guessing I gave a little too much in these instances).

Good luck, I hope he starts improving soon! :fl

Week Nine

Snuggle, who gets a bath tomorrow and his wry neck is the same. He’s still sitting on his head most of time.
5B7FD521-9311-4610-B434-E3F1223AF29F.jpeg
DA549B57-0247-4128-B882-667E003F1F9D.jpeg

Paint 1
C0CE85C9-37EF-4EA8-97A8-9189548BFA8E.jpeg
E0F9CD1E-FF05-49F1-94C3-BC799063199A.jpeg
AE457FAA-B842-45D1-9FE3-0A57963146D2.jpeg

Paint 2
0727D026-4171-4044-8F25-53CB37FF6755.jpeg
332E7644-F66F-406A-BFA7-D7C03E6F1E0A.jpeg
B534CB1F-F08B-411D-82AD-01C6B6E143BF.jpeg

Paint 3
0A11EF63-C506-445A-9EFC-D21C898B6D66.jpeg
394B6F5A-753F-4EB9-871A-7A579EC6972B.jpeg
4F4CE8FF-BBB9-4BCF-9075-5428E1C435CB.jpeg

Frizzle Grey
E83A5AD4-E37F-4B16-93EB-C6AB94049150.jpeg
EAC08650-FC25-4AC3-9DB3-03D6844BC590.jpeg
D1EDF059-2967-4D38-950F-B84A23FE9B6A.jpeg

Cuckoo Satin
4293B3C7-30DC-4097-BFA5-6B7249DADE69.jpeg
8832F797-2202-40FB-B8E6-376FBBE5DDD2.jpeg
C73739B5-3ADC-4916-8E56-A0A84CBBCC4C.jpeg

Black Showgirl
18E3B9F7-D2DB-4CAC-B8BA-39B437BD4243.jpeg
9FA916E6-6CB6-485D-9633-0A49C89D64A1.jpeg
EA63FA20-988C-48C5-9A25-93FA12892F3C.jpeg

They are getting so big! If they are like mine streamers might start showing up anytime in the next few weeks on they boys. :)

I'm really sorry to hear Snuggle isn't improving yet. I've had some that took over a month to start to come out of it. The one that took the longest to start to recover was a little male that is now over 6 months old. He was around snuggles age when it started and it took over a month of tube feeding before he could eat again on his own. He never got completely over it (I suspect he has some permanent brain damage) but he mostly just has mild symptoms now. He has a bit of a head wobble and if he becomes too stressed he can have a quick wry neck episode (usually just lasting seconds) but otherwise he is alright. I don't know how my little guys long term prognosis is but if he stays like he is now he should still be able to have a fairly good quality of life. I hope Snuggle will be able to make a complete recovery though! :fl

They are getting so big! If they are like mine streamers might start showing up anytime in the next few weeks on they boys. :)

I'm really sorry to hear Snuggle isn't improving yet. I've had some that took over a month to start to come out of it. The one that took the longest to start to recover was a little male that is now over 6 months old. He was around snuggles age when it started and it took over a month of tube feeding before he could eat again on his own. He never got completely over it (I suspect he has some permanent brain damage) but he mostly just has mild symptoms now. He has a bit of a head wobble and if he becomes too stressed he can have a quick wry neck episode (usually just lasting seconds) but otherwise he is alright. I don't know how my little guys long term prognosis is but if he stays like he is now he should still be able to have a fairly good quality of life. I hope Snuggle will be able to make a complete recovery though! :fl
I hope he does too. I’m changing out his bedding tomorrow because no matter what I do he still gets poo in his hair. He’s eating more though and his crop is full most nights before I put him to bed. It never really fills but I think that’s because of her filled it all the way he would be laying on it. Like right on it. So I make sure to sit with him an extra 10 minutes after he has stopped eating. To make sure he’s actually done.

I haven’t had to tube feed yet but have all the stuff if needed. When he gets his meds, 3 times a day, I put wet food in a bowl for him and sit with him until he’s done eating. He sleeps a lot. Mostly jammed into the corner of his brooder. I can’t wait until he’s better. He’ll be much happier. Right now everything scares him because he can’t see it. His other silkie friends could probably go outside but I made the decision to keep them all in the house so snuggle wasn’t alone.

I hope he does too. I’m changing out his bedding tomorrow because no matter what I do he still gets poo in his hair. He’s eating more though and his crop is full most nights before I put him to bed. It never really fills but I think that’s because of her filled it all the way he would be laying on it. Like right on it. So I make sure to sit with him an extra 10 minutes after he has stopped eating. To make sure he’s actually done.

I haven’t had to tube feed yet but have all the stuff if needed. When he gets his meds, 3 times a day, I put wet food in a bowl for him and sit with him until he’s done eating. He sleeps a lot. Mostly jammed into the corner of his brooder. I can’t wait until he’s better. He’ll be much happier. Right now everything scares him because he can’t see it. His other silkie friends could probably go outside but I made the decision to keep them all in the house so snuggle wasn’t alone.

Poor little guy. It's great he is still able to eat on his own though! I know how difficult it is to watch them go through this. I almost gave up on the one I had to tube feed for over a month fearing he wasn't going to be able to recover. It was so hard watching him struggling thinking it might all be for nothing. Snuggle is lucky to have you working to help him through this. ❤️

Snuggle is starting to improve! He can hold his head up for longer and has started preening himself again. When he’s stressed his head still drops down and under him. But he has been eating and drinking on his own more. I want to let him out of his cage so he can be with his flock but he gets too stressed out. They can all still see him but he paces behind the bars wanting to be with them. Hopefully he can be soon.

Snuggle is starting to improve! He can hold his head up for longer and has started preening himself again. When he’s stressed his head still drops down and under him. But he has been eating and drinking on his own more. I want to let him out of his cage so he can be with his flock but he gets too stressed out. They can all still see him but he paces behind the bars wanting to be with them. Hopefully he can be soon.

That is wonderful news! I'm so glad to hear he is finally starting to turn the corner and is doing better! Hopefully it won't be too long before he can join the others. :fl

I’m pretty sure the black showgirl and the frizzle are boys. The showgirl is showing some iridescent feathers and has longer tail feathers than the rest. He also is showing some serious aggression towards the others. He is the one I find jumping around the most and trying to get onto the others backs. He also kicks at the others the most. I also noticed that his comb is huge compared to most of the others. I think paint one’s comb compares in width and snuggle’s is comparable in height.

The little frizzle is a sweetie but I feel like if he wasn’t frizzled he would be showing streamers. He has some extra long feathers that stick up on the top of his head. His comb is also very pink.

Back
Top Bottom