Silkies with other chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sukochickens, Mar 30, 2015.

1. sukochickens

sukochickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    My husband and I are planning on getting 6 chickens for the eggs. 3 for us then 3 for a friend of ours that they are going to keep at our place. We were thinking either barred rocks, australorps, or maybe just simple sex links since they're all pretty good egg layers. But I was hoping to convince my husband to let me get a silkie as just a pet. I know they are very docile so I was wondering if it was possible to have a silkie with any of those breeds? What breed do you think would be best? Any other really good egg layers that might be a better option? Thanks

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    If they are raised as chicks together then I don't see a problem. I have one in a mixed flock and she has done well.

3. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    I've found that the lesser quality Silkies do okay with my mixed flock, but birds with extreme feathering seem to get singled out and picked upon.

4. sukochickens

sukochickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    Thank you! It definitely wouldn't be a show quality silkie lol! The feed store near us had some last time and the owner said they get their babies in after Easter so I was just going to try to snatch one up then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by