Silkies wont use nesting box or roosting area

Cockoff

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
Hi all,

I have been given 3 Silkies and their coup, they are over a year old and this is my first experience of keeping chickens.

At least one of the hens is laying as I had an egg on Saturday and Sunday, problem is they aren't using the nesting boxes or the roosting compartment at night, preferring to huddle at the bottom of the run. Previous owners advised they have always done this.

Any ideas as to how I can get them to go into the roosting compartment and start to use the nesting boxes?

Ta

How high off the ground are the nesting boxes? My silkies will only lay in a box that is flat on the ground or less than a foot off of it.

Forget roosting. Silkies like to huddle in a pile at bedtime.

For my silkies I have a nest box on the ground, and they use it (sometimes too much! :p) I also have a roost that is 1 1/2 feet off the ground, they jump on and off it during the day. All of mine sleep in a pile on the floor

For my silkies I have a nest box on the ground, and they use it (sometimes too much!
tongue.png
) I also have a roost that is 1 1/2 feet off the ground, they jump on and off it during the day. All of mine sleep in a pile on the floor

Thanks all for the replies.

These silkies act just as above, all huddle together, I think I'll try the nest box on the ground approach.

Thanks all for the replies. These silkies act just as above, all huddle together, I think I'll try the nest box on the ground approach.
My girls are more prone to sleep on the floor, while the boys will roost. The better they see, the better they roost.
_MG_4052.jpg
This is as far up as my hens will lay. 2/3 will. One insists on lying in the corner of the coop. She can see the least. Her poof is the biggest.

Back
Top Bottom