Silkies wont use nesting box or roosting area

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cockoff, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Cockoff

Cockoff New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Hi all,

I have been given 3 Silkies and their coup, they are over a year old and this is my first experience of keeping chickens.

At least one of the hens is laying as I had an egg on Saturday and Sunday, problem is they aren't using the nesting boxes or the roosting compartment at night, preferring to huddle at the bottom of the run. Previous owners advised they have always done this.

Any ideas as to how I can get them to go into the roosting compartment and start to use the nesting boxes?

Ta

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

How high off the ground are the nesting boxes? My silkies will only lay in a box that is flat on the ground or less than a foot off of it.

Forget roosting. Silkies like to huddle in a pile at bedtime.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yep, most silkies won't roost. I would also try a shallow box at floor level, put a golf ball or wooden egg in it to help attract them.

4. BaileyJean

BaileyJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    For my silkies I have a nest box on the ground, and they use it (sometimes too much! :p) I also have a roost that is 1 1/2 feet off the ground, they jump on and off it during the day. All of mine sleep in a pile on the floor

5. Cockoff

Cockoff New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Thanks all for the replies.

These silkies act just as above, all huddle together, I think I'll try the nest box on the ground approach.

6. aoxa

My girls are more prone to sleep on the floor, while the boys will roost. The better they see, the better they roost. [​IMG] This is as far up as my hens will lay. 2/3 will. One insists on lying in the corner of the coop. She can see the least. Her poof is the biggest.

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    My silkie will roost on a little board that is only about 4 inches off the ground. Otherwise she just sleeps on the floor.

8. aoxa

[​IMG] You can see I have quite a few roosting, but all large crested girls still sleep on the floor. Usually under the window on the ledges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by