Silkies.

QTsilkie

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
Hello.
I'm suppose to pick up a few silkies tomorrow afternoon and need help sexing them. The breeder says he is unable to sex them but I've been told otherwise. I've googled what 3 month old silkies look like l, but the picture I received looks different then what I've found in google. Can someone please help me. Attached is the picture I received from the breeder. What key points should I look for. I am new to this and just recently obtained adult silkies and found them obvious to distinguish, but chicks maybe a little harder for me especially if the picture I received is true and plumage is not up to par.

Attached is the picture from the breeder.

At 3 months silkies can be difficult. I would avoid any with pink in the comb or those with wider combs. Look for thicker eggs and more upright stances, both could indicate rooster. From the photo I can see it's not going to be easy. They all look alike.

Even breeders often cannot tell gender till 4-5 months s of age and sometimes not till they lay or crow. I think the breeder is being truthful. You go through that mob of silkies and pick out the pullets, I know I couldn't. It would help if she had them in smaller groups, where it would be easier to spot differences between them.

Personally I would pass on any silkies that young unless you don't mind surprise roosters.

At how many weeks is it more obvious?? I bout to fully grown silkies (ages unknown) and i clearly could tell rooster and hen (not to mention the morning wake up call). So at what point would the characteristics be obvious??

If there's an obvious rooster and pullet standing next to each other than that's when you know you can tell the difference.

Since silkie breeding and confirmation is so all over the place they all don't show obvious differences at the same age. You may or may not be able to tell earlier.

The photo you shared shows silkies that look bigger and with less feathers so it's possible you can tell sooner on them than on some poofy puff balls where you can't even see the face. Those can take until they crow or lay an egg.

Most silkie you can tell apart by 3-5 months, before that it can be mostly guessing.

If there's an obvious rooster and pullet standing next to each other than that's when you know you can tell the difference.

Since silkie breeding and confirmation is so all over the place they all don't show obvious differences at the same age. You may or may not be able to tell earlier.

The photo you shared shows silkies that look bigger and with less feathers so it's possible you can tell sooner on them than on some poofy puff balls where you can't even see the face. Those can take until they crow or lay an egg.

Most silkie you can tell apart by 3-5 months, before that it can be mostly guessing.

Thanks so much!!! I intended in only getting 1 but bought 4 to increase my chances. I'll post pictures tomorrow and see if anyone can guess the hen. There has to be at least one on the bunch!

Back
Top Bottom