Silkies

Hatchery silkies are poorly bred. They're not necessarily crosses, they just haven't been bred correctly to select for the correct traits. So they're really not good if your friend had wanted to be breeding to the silkie standard.

Hatchery silkies are poorly bred. They're not necessarily crosses, they just haven't been bred correctly to select for the correct traits. So they're really not good if your friend had wanted to be breeding to the silkie standard.
I googled which is a horrible reference for anything and they kinda look like nonbearded silkies but have no idea. 4 out of the 5 are males for sure i also got other bantam after the fact for her and i so i might just end up with the silkies too due to the fact i have more 13 hens and only one roosterso she isnt over ran with roosters or may just try to sell them.

Even non bearded should have feathered legs and walnut combs, and these unfortunately have neither. Definitely just very poorly bred. Doesn't mean they can't be good flock members though :) Just no good for showing or breeding to the standard.

Walnut combs are starting to form now but started with a normal comb a pullet would have. I dont think either of us plan on show birds. So that is a plus.

Some are walnuting on the sides on the combs almost like as it is growing. But all still have the pointed part too. Hard to explain she has both pullets and silkies that are normal and she was stumped. She just kept saying they have to be mixed breeds.

Back
Top Bottom