Silkies

Carmadie

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
I have a Paint Silkie about 8 weeks old that has grey/blue colored feet with a yellow/pinkish beak and yellow to orange colored eyes. Is this normal in a silkie?? 15690028057526864904110767304194.jpg
15690028057526864904110767304194.jpg

I have a Paint Silkie about 8 weeks old that has grey/blue colored feet with a yellow/pinkish beak and yellow to orange
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree about it being "normal"... and call it a quality control issue... and you have light skin instead of mulberry. Though I do agree that it's common, especially in light color patterned birds and project colors such as Paint or Partridge. :)

because they are not straight silkie they have pigment discrepancy.
I agree that there can be wholes in pigment... but this isn't what that looks like... to me. That would still be the dark skin... but with some lighter areas like white toes or toenails.

Incorrect eye color is exactly that incorrect. But they all start out grey and mature into what they will be. It may still be changing.

Paint is STILL "straight" or pure for Silkie... it is one copy of dominant white over black... Some good basic info posted by the moonshiner in this link..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-with-white-spot-silkie.1243876/#post-19960147

An interesting read..
https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/gms10-skin-and-shank-color/

It's a nice looking bearded Silkie.. :love does it actually have any Paint spots? Do you know which type of breeding it came from? Depending on which cross... some hatch with their spots in tact and others develop them.

I have a paint silkie that is all white and developed one small spot on her head when she was around 7/8 months old. :) I messaged the breeder about it early on that it wasn't paint and it was all white, and she assured me that it is paint. All she has are paints. She said for some reason this year a hatch of paints came out all white.

All she has are paints. She said for some reason this year a hatch of paints came out all white.
That's an uneducated (or under educated) breeder with regards to how Paint genetics work.... Paint cross to paint will only give a percentage of Paint. The rest will be either white or black.. is my understanding. And quality will NOT be maintained with regards to spotting.

Paint cross to black will give a percentage of Paint.

Paint crossed to Dominant white will give 100% paint.

Copied from one of the links posted earlier... Maybe you can share it with them!

"Breed it to a black and get about 50% of the offspring being paints. The rest being black.
Breed it to a white and you'll still get about 50% paint offspring but the others will be white.
You can breed a pure white from that cross back to black for 100% paints. The pure white ones will have two dominate white genes so all offspring will get the one gene they need.
You can breed that paint to another paint and get 50% paint, 25% black and 25% white."

Projects like these make learning fun! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom