Silkies?

From what I've heard, an issue that's not pecking order related is that they can't fly up to roosts, so they will sleep in nests below other birds and get pooped on. Apparently you need a low roost or a ramp to a roost, and train them to use it.

Mine fly up to their roost fine. Well, jump and flap up the steps to it, like the other hard feathered chickens do.

They have feathered feet and aren't very waterproof generally, so bear that in mind if you get a lot of rain. They need an outdoor dry area during the day. A covered run is ideal.

Hey everyone for those of you who dont know I have six hens and a rooster and I have been wanting to breed my rooster with my hens. However I do not want to hatch along chicks past thanksgiving. My rooster is still maturing so I dont think he will meet my breeding season this year. My friend hatched around twenty silkie chicks. She has some buff, black and mixed colored silkies that are three weeks old. I am highly considering buying them I just wanted to know you guys´ thoughts and opions on silkies and if you have any tips that apply to silkies only and not other breeds. Also should I get them? :oops:
Thanks,
Owen
Well silkies shouldn't get too wet because their fur like feathers aren't very protective

Mine fly up to their roost fine. Well, jump and flap up the steps to it, like the other hard feathered chickens do.

They have feathered feet and aren't very waterproof generally, so bear that in mind if you get a lot of rain. They need an outdoor dry area during the day. A covered run is ideal.
Okay, I do not get a lot of rain where I live and they do have access to shelter. Thanks!

What do you mean?
Just a little chicken humor that flew over your head..;)
Silkies are awesome cute little fluff balls that are pretty useless and helpless but their eggs make the best deviled eggs because you can just pop the whole thing in your mouth. I keep them because their so cute and when people see them they always fall in love with them.
I do house mine separate from my leghorns and Isa browns because my silkies have little man syndrome and want to try to be the boss over the bigger girls and I'm afraid the leghorns will team up and jump on one of the bossy silkies and hurt them. So you'll have to see how yours do with integrating and if you can house them together. Yours might have a better temperament than mine and mesh just fine. You don't know until you try.

Just a little chicken humor that flew over your head..;)
Silkies are awesome cute little fluff balls that are pretty useless and helpless but their eggs make the best deviled eggs because you can just pop the whole thing in your mouth. I keep them because their so cute and when people see them they always fall in love with them.
I do house mine separate from my leghorns and Isa browns because my silkies have little man syndrome and want to try to be the boss over the bigger girls and I'm afraid the leghorns will team up and jump on one of the bossy silkies and hurt them. So you'll have to see how yours do with integrating and if you can house them together. Yours might have a better temperament than mine and mesh just fine. You don't know until you try.
I understood the joke after I posted that lol!And I am thibking abouut building another coop soon. So we will see how it goes. Thanks!!

Okay, I do not get a lot of rain where I live and they do have access to shelter. Thanks!
that's great. I read somewhere here the other day, someone saying silkies are delicate, and not hardy. Mine survive cold winters and hot summers just fine, and have never had any disease. And it rains here a LOT! Granted, we don't get Alaskan winters or Arizonan summers here but we get a good range of temps. They are sweet natured and pretty. What more could you want!

that's great. I read somewhere here the other day, someone saying silkies are delicate, and not hardy. Mine survive cold winters and hot summers just fine, and have never had any disease. And it rains here a LOT! Granted, we don't get Alaskan winters or Arizonan summers here but we get a good range of temps. They are sweet natured and pretty. What more could you want!
Same the temperature and weather where I live is wack!

Back
Top Bottom