Silkies?

All you can do really is wait.

You could confine her to a crate or nest box, but that is unlikely to work unless she has already started to go broody. It can help to 'set' the hormones.
Alright thank you. I’ll try anything, I have put some food and water in the coop. I clean the poop from over night out everyday. I try to make sure it’s not too hot or cold for her. I even tried just putting her in the nest on all the eggs. She just looks at them sits for a minute looking at me and then gets up. Maybe she’s not as broody as the previous owners said. I was also thinking maybe the eggs aren’t fertile.🤷🏻‍♀️

When the hormones start and they feel broody, they will literally try and hatch stones, golf balls, anything round! They don't know if an egg is fertile or not.

She is a silkie. It's only a matter of time before she feels broody. Be patient!

We are now up to 5 real eggs with 4 fakes eggs so 9 total. Neither silkie has gone broody. The only time they go lay on the eggs is when they are laying a new egg and at night when they are sleeping. I go and turn the eggs often everyday, but the eggs are cold to the touch. What is the likelihood these eggs will hatch? I tried candling egg number 1 today but didn’t see anything. Thinking about opening egg number 5 to see if it’s fertile and if it is start incubation all new eggs? I’ve never hatched chicks before and I was hoping one of the silkies would go broody, but not having much luck. Worried the eggs are just sitting in there rotting.

We are now up to 5 real eggs with 4 fakes eggs so 9 total. Neither silkie has gone broody. The only time they go lay on the eggs is when they are laying a new egg and at night when they are sleeping. I go and turn the eggs often everyday, but the eggs are cold to the touch. What is the likelihood these eggs will hatch? I tried candling egg number 1 today but didn’t see anything. Thinking about opening egg number 5 to see if it’s fertile and if it is start incubation all new eggs? I’ve never hatched chicks before and I was hoping one of the silkies would go broody, but not having much luck. Worried the eggs are just sitting in there rotting.
The eggs should be fine to hatch up to 2 weeks from when it was laid, good you are turning them daily, but would be better if you just took away each freshly laid egg and kept them in order so you know which is freshest so when she does go broody you can set the freshest ones under her all at the same time... You just need to be patient and she will go broody in time.

The eggs should be fine to hatch up to 2 weeks from when it was laid, good you are turning them daily, but would be better if you just took away each freshly laid egg and kept them in order so you know which is freshest so when she does go broody you can set the freshest ones under her all at the same time... You just need to be patient and she will go broody in time.
Thank you. I have been marking them with dots and recording the date they are laid.

there really is no point trying to hatch eggs when the hens aren't broody yet. They won't develop. Or they may start and stop. Just keep the fake eggs there until the broodiness hits. Then only replace with fertile eggs once the hen has sat on the nest solidly for 3 or 4 days, and fluffs up and pecks you when you disturb her

there really is no point trying to hatch eggs when the hens aren't broody yet. They won't develop. Or they may start and stop. Just keep the fake eggs there until the broodiness hits. Then only replace with fertile eggs once the hen has sat on the nest solidly for 3 or 4 days, and fluffs up and pecks you when you disturb her
Ok thanks. I only have 7 fake eggs. She isn’t going broody with 4 fake and 5 real is she going to go broody on the 7 fake?

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I only have 7 fake eggs. She isn’t going broody with 4 fake and 5 real is she going to go broody on the 7 fake?
My hens go broody on nothing, no egg required in the nest for them to go broody, it's a hormone thing... Although leaving fake eggs in the nest is suppose to help kick the hormones on, it will take time, Patience.

Back
Top Bottom