Silkies?

Apr 27, 2021
Indiana
Are these just called silkies? The one that is obviously all white a white silkie, and then the grey and white ones called greys or splash silkies?

Attachments

• 41353436-EFE4-45AA-9E0F-AFF8B4D03E39.jpeg
    41353436-EFE4-45AA-9E0F-AFF8B4D03E39.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 30
  • C2D807E9-0E67-4AB6-BD34-29A4D440FC4C.jpeg
    C2D807E9-0E67-4AB6-BD34-29A4D440FC4C.jpeg
    902.7 KB · Views: 16
  • C3597500-7652-4481-A946-05A317A5A89F.jpeg
    C3597500-7652-4481-A946-05A317A5A89F.jpeg
    821.5 KB · Views: 14
Also I gave them all baths and noticed that the 2 darker ones are a little matted under their wings. Any suggestions on what to do about that? Try brushing them or cutting them out? I just got them a few days ago and they aren’t completely used to me yet. I’m a little nervous having scissors around them and don’t really know if they will tolerate brushing. Just bathing them was crazy!😂

Also I gave them all baths and noticed that the 2 darker ones are a little matted under their wings. Any suggestions on what to do about that? Try brushing them or cutting them out? I just got them a few days ago and they aren’t completely used to me yet. I’m a little nervous having scissors around them and don’t really know if they will tolerate brushing. Just bathing them was crazy!😂

You can just leave it

Yup. Those are all silkies. Its also fun breeding them. These are some of my little chicks just days after hatching them from a silkie hen and rooView attachment 2706953
I got 2 hens and a roo! Hoping to breed them also. This will be my first time breeding. Any advice? I’m hoping to just let them lay on their eggs and do everything on their own, but very nervous. Haven’t even gotten any eggs yet lol.

I got 2 hens and a roo! Hoping to breed them also. This will be my first time breeding. Any advice? I’m hoping to just let them lay on their eggs and do everything on their own, but very nervous. Haven’t even gotten any eggs yet lol.
Just wait for the hens to lay eggs and the roo will fertilize, if its a broody breed you can get a crate and have the broody hen in the crate with feed (can be layer or non layer feed it doesn't matter) and with some water and a nest box, but remember if you want to move the broody hen to a crate or somewhere else you have to put a towel over her head or move her at night, if she knows she is in a different area she will not see the eggs or nest box as hers. My first breeding I moved my broody hen shadow while she saw everything and she was not on the nest for 20 hours and 9 eggs 1 week away from hatching were ice cold. Immediately bought an incubator and now I have 4 chicks, I should have had at least 6 but the cold killed some eggs, but the broody hen will be bullied a little bit when you move her back to the flock and coop and everything

Just wait for the hens to lay eggs and the roo will fertilize, if its a broody breed you can get a crate and have the broody hen in the crate with feed (can be layer or non layer feed it doesn't matter) and with some water and a nest box, but remember if you want to move the broody hen to a crate or somewhere else you have to put a towel over her head or move her at night, if she knows she is in a different area she will not see the eggs or nest box as hers. My first breeding I moved my broody hen shadow while she saw everything and she was not on the nest for 20 hours and 9 eggs 1 week away from hatching were ice cold. Immediately bought an incubator and now I have 4 chicks, I should have had at least 6 but the cold killed some eggs, but the broody hen will be bullied a little bit when you move her back to the flock and coop and everything
I have the 2 silkie hens and roo in a separate run area and coop from my other chickens. Will I be able to just leave her in her coop on her nest with the other hen and roo?

Back
Top Bottom