Silkies?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Ok, so a friend has some pure silkies and some silkie roos. She has bred them and has multiple generations and has never had a problem with them. My worry is the cold weather, the wet weather and this would be my first time having bantam breeds/incubating or letting a broody do it. Our town will allow us to have 8 chickens now. So i have 5 but one is starting to show signs or reproduction issues, so she may have to go.
So do silkies do good in cold weather and wet weather? My coop is big and insulated, i also can add heat if needed to in the winter. My chickens made it through the negative 40 degree temps we had last year with barely any added heat.
Then if i have to incubate them i have never integrated chickens before. How do i do this right? Just have them at the no touch but see for 2 weeks then supervise for 2 weeks and hope it works out? Im worried my chickens wont except them.
Thanks for any help!
Im definitely looking forward to Partridge and Splash coloring in my flock!

I've kept silkies here in Wisconsin zone 5. My coop is insulated which helps on those colder days, and my run is covered, but wasn't covered back than. They did okay in the wet, but are better not getting wet. Their feathers aren't waterproof and they can get soaked so keeping them under some cover is best.

It also can depend on the breeding lines with some being more hardy. The more show bred they are the more they require extra care. Regular hatchery stock tends to do better in my experiences.

I've kept silkies here in Wisconsin zone 5. My coop is insulated which helps on those colder days, and my run is covered, but wasn't covered back than. They did okay in the wet, but are better not getting wet. Their feathers aren't waterproof and they can get soaked so keeping them under some cover is best.

It also can depend on the breeding lines with some being more hardy. The more show bred they are the more they require extra care. Regular hatchery stock tends to do better in my experiences.
Thank you!
I actually ended up getting what we think was a polish silkie mix then it was cracked open and ate by another chicken. So i got some Lavender Orpingtons and Mottled Bantam Cochin hatching eggs. I do hope i can add silkies to my flock within yhe next year or 2.

Thank you!
I actually ended up getting what we think was a polish silkie mix then it was cracked open and ate by another chicken. So i got some Lavender Orpingtons and Mottled Bantam Cochin hatching eggs. I do hope i can add silkies to my flock within yhe next year or 2.
I like my mottled bantam cochins and Orpington are always great birds. Good luck with your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom