Silkies?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Ok, so a friend has some pure silkies and some silkie roos. She has bred them and has multiple generations and has never had a problem with them. My worry is the cold weather, the wet weather and this would be my first time having bantam breeds/incubating or letting a broody do it. Our town will allow us to have 8 chickens now. So i have 5 but one is starting to show signs or reproduction issues, so she may have to go.
So do silkies do good in cold weather and wet weather? My coop is big and insulated, i also can add heat if needed to in the winter. My chickens made it through the negative 40 degree temps we had last year with barely any added heat.
Then if i have to incubate them i have never integrated chickens before. How do i do this right? Just have them at the no touch but see for 2 weeks then supervise for 2 weeks and hope it works out? Im worried my chickens wont except them.
Thanks for any help!
Im definitely looking forward to Partridge and Splash coloring in my flock!

They can do well in cold but they can't do well when wet. If wet they can get very sick and sometimes die if not dried and cared for. I have a slikie of my own and when she gets too wet in the cold rain I bring her inside and use a blow dryer on her and keep her warm until she is dry again to go outside. Wet is only ok if it's warm or sunny out. Cold, winter, no sun. If they get to wet they get sick, as do Polish chickens too. The feathers are just not like other chickens to fight off water.

They can do well in cold but they can't do well when wet. If wet they can get very sick and sometimes die if not dried and cared for. I have a slikie of my own and when she gets too wet in the cold rain I bring her inside and use a blow dryer on her and keep her warm until she is dry again to go outside. Wet is only ok if it's warm or sunny out. Cold, winter, no sun. If they get to wet they get sick, as do Polish chickens too. The feathers are just not like other chickens to fight off water.
Thank you. I get worried when mine get wet. I usally dry them off even though they arent silkies. I figured that drying off would be enough. But im just worried about super low temps.

Thank you. I get worried when mine get wet. I usally dry them off even though they arent silkies. I figured that drying off would be enough. But im just worried about super low temps.
Super low temps is only a problem for a slikie if they are also wet :) if they are dry the cold won't hurt them. My slikie loves to play in the snow so I just keep an eye on her so she doesn't get to wet. She is normally good about not getting wet in the snow and I don't have to do anything to her. But rain with snow. Yeah I'm bringing her in for a drying lol side note I don't have a heater in the coop lol so that probably helps a lot.

I really like certain colors like
Partridge, Splash, Barred, Blue
Then im not sure what to call these to as the second one doesnt look splashed(these are not our friends, im hoping to go see those ones soon)
20230802_205105.jpg
20230802_205123.jpg

But i also love the plain colors like black, white and, buff!

I really like certain colors like
Partridge, Splash, Barred, Blue
Then im not sure what to call these to as the second one doesnt look splashed(these are not our friends, im hoping to go see those ones soon)View attachment 3597667View attachment 3597668
But i also love the plain colors like black, white and, buff!
So cute! This is my one and only silkie. With a mix of other breeds lol (I had her raise them all but one.)

Attachments

• 20230802_193521.jpg
    20230802_193521.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230802_193522.jpg
    20230802_193522.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom