Is anyone working on a blue egg laying silkies project?

Thank you all so very much for your very informative responses! I appreciate all the help!

@Hinotori I think that will be a good starting place for me if I can’t find someone already working on it. I’m guessing that after that second generation it would be best to breed the silkied ones to each other (only the hens that lay a blue egg) and then from there breed in more silkies to try to veer towards the SOP? Maybe could have a decent looking blue layer by the 6th generation or so? It will take me forever to get there because my flock is small but I hope to try it!

That's basically it. I breed each back to a good silkie rooster and watch for blue eggs from the offspring. Im about ready to try getting a good rooster. None of the ones last year met my wants.

Just wondering if anyone is currently working on a blue egg laying silkie project right now? I know in the past Whispering Oaks Farms has been mentioned but they never really post and don’t seem to respond to inquiries. I am considering starting my own project but it would be so much easier to start with shipped eggs from someone who already has something going :) If you or someone you know has been working on this, please let me know!!

PS I have seen the silkied Easter egger from my pet chicken, I suppose that may be a good place to start. I haven’t ever purchased from a hatchery though, so I’m not sure I want to go that route.

This is Goldie. She is a cross of a white silkie roo x Bantam Olive Egger hen. Her mom closely resembles a silver laced wyandotte, but she came out gold! She has feathered legs and feet, and as you can see, a small crest.
She decided to be a mom long before laying her first egg! She has adopted 3 clutches of chicks, so far. She just laid her first egg about a week ago, and it's green!!!
My plan is to breed her back to a partridge silkie, and go from there.
In this pic, she's actually sitting on a singleton chick that we hatched from shipped eggs!
Screenshot_20240223-083053-536.png

@WillowWoodsFarm Goldie is so gorgeous! What an amazing mama she is! I’m so impressed that she has so many silkie characteristics in just the first generation. I would love to see what happens with the next generation crossed back to silkie!! I bet her eggs are so beautiful!

@WillowWoodsFarm Goldie is so gorgeous! What an amazing mama she is! I’m so impressed that she has so many silkie characteristics in just the first generation. I would love to see what happens with the next generation crossed back to silkie!! I bet her eggs are so beautiful!
Thank you! I had to do a lot culling with that hatch. Gave away most of the chicks and kept 2 that had the most traits. Her sister has everything EXCEPT the 5 toes. Hopefully this 2nd generation will be just as good, or better🤞🏻
I will try to get some pics of her eggs for you today

Oh I would love to see her eggs! That is so cool that you got a sister with almost all of the silkie characteristics as well!! I am really surprised more people aren’t working on colored egg silkies! There is just something special about those adorable little eggs, and having them in all the rainbow colors would be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom