Is anyone working on a blue egg laying silkies project?

Slothinc

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Just wondering if anyone is currently working on a blue egg laying silkie project right now? I know in the past Whispering Oaks Farms has been mentioned but they never really post and don’t seem to respond to inquiries. I am considering starting my own project but it would be so much easier to start with shipped eggs from someone who already has something going :) If you or someone you know has been working on this, please let me know!!

PS I have seen the silkied Easter egger from my pet chicken, I suppose that may be a good place to start. I haven’t ever purchased from a hatchery though, so I’m not sure I want to go that route.

I've been casually working on a blue laying silkie for about 6 years. I haven't been breeding tons of them so it takes longer. So I have some hens now that look fully silkie and carry 1 copy of the blue egg gene. Don't have a good rooster yet. I'll need to work on getting 2 copies of blue in the hens eventually

@Debbie292d thank you so much for linking that post, it was very enlightening!! I very much appreciate it!

@Hinotori I loved reading the linked post about your process, thank you so much for taking the time to post here as well! Would you ever consider shipping some fertile eggs from your girls with the single blue egg gene? I would be super interested if it’s something you’d be willing to do! Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to discuss it!

@Debbie292d thank you so much for linking that post, it was very enlightening!! I very much appreciate it!

@Hinotori I loved reading the linked post about your process, thank you so much for taking the time to post here as well! Would you ever consider shipping some fertile eggs from your girls with the single blue egg gene? I would be super interested if it’s something you’d be willing to do! Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to discuss it!

I don't have NPIP certification so I can't ship out of my state

I don't have NPIP certification so I can't ship out of my state
Does your Post Office check? Ours doesn't. South Carolina must as the eggs I got from someone there last month were marked "Live Fish."

Oddly, in Wisconsin, we don't need a thing to ship eggs or chicks in state. They have a choice of a lower certification called Wisconsin Tested Flock the ones that exhibit theirs can get and it's free. I just had mine tested yesterday morning and that's the one the tester talked me into getting for shipping eggs out of state.

If you just want silkie feathered blue eggers, it only takes two generations to get some. Just have to breed the first gen back to a silkied bird and half the offspring will be silkie feathered. Have a 50% chance of carrying a copy of blue egg gene.

Ive been working to have SOP silkies that lay blue.

My post office is touchy about sending any animals

I should have said that breeding only works with birds you know carry two copies of blue. Breeder birds of named color ameraucana, cream legbars, araucana. Hatchery birds cannot be trusted to carry two copies

Thank you all so very much for your very informative responses! I appreciate all the help!

@Hinotori I think that will be a good starting place for me if I can’t find someone already working on it. I’m guessing that after that second generation it would be best to breed the silkied ones to each other (only the hens that lay a blue egg) and then from there breed in more silkies to try to veer towards the SOP? Maybe could have a decent looking blue layer by the 6th generation or so? It will take me forever to get there because my flock is small but I hope to try it!

Back
Top Bottom