Silkies for beginners in 4 season northern climate

Barefootboys

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2024
Hello!

I’m new to the chicken community. I have a phobia of birds but my little family REALLY want chickens. So here I am researching super friendly cute docile small chickens. And the silkie came up and my gosh they are so goofy and cute looking (and I really don’t think birds are cute).
The downfall we’re in Canada and get all 4 seasons so quite a big chunk of the year is wet and cold. This year has been an exceptionally year with hardly no snow and average 0 degrees Celsius.

Should we get them? So I can expose my self and start with these cuties to get over this life long phobia.
Or jump into a more hardy bird like orpingtons and hope for the best with the phobia?
Thanks for your help!

Hello!

I’m new to the chicken community. I have a phobia of birds but my little family REALLY want chickens. So here I am researching super friendly cute docile small chickens. And the silkie came up and my gosh they are so goofy and cute looking (and I really don’t think birds are cute).
The downfall we’re in Canada and get all 4 seasons so quite a big chunk of the year is wet and cold. This year has been an exceptionally year with hardly no snow and average 0 degrees Celsius.

Should we get them? So I can expose my self and start with these cuties to get over this life long phobia.
Or jump into a more hardy bird like orpingtons and hope for the best with the phobia?
Thanks for your help!
if ur in a very cold climate i would nvr suggest supplemental heat unless absolutly neccasary to avoid potential shock but if its the looks then i might have a breed u will like and handle the cold probs the most cold hardy breed there is so how cold does it get in ur winter? i would suggest a light brahma very docile freindly and extremly cold hardy but realy any brahma is finne but if u still want sillkies there good to i just have had great experiences with brahmas

Last edited:
heres a picture of a cockerel if u dont like the comb and wattles thats fine females dont have big comb and wattles at all i will upload the picturewhen i take it lol so like 30 mins

if ur in a very cold climate i would nvr suggest supplemental heat unless absolutly neccasary to avoid potential shock but if its the looks then i might have a breed u will like and handle the cold probs the most cold hardy breed there is so how cold does it get in ur winter?
On average I would say -10 Celsius in winter but not uncommon to have -20 -30 Celsius during cold snaps. Usually a lot of snow. And in the summer I’d say 25 Celsius is our average with heat waves up to 35 Celsius.
I’d love some suggestions!
Thanks

Hello!

Thanks for your help!
I would suggest Cochin Bantams for a cold-hardy, super friendly & docile breed to start with!

I agree with cochin bantams! They are very sweet and hardy birds that are able to easily withstand your winters. Plus they come in a huge variety of colors.
I wouldn’t recommend silkies as they are awfully hard to take care for a beginner and they aren’t very good at all in extremely cold climates. Plus they come with the possibility of a ton of health issues that can pop up at any time.

On average I would say -10 Celsius in winter but not uncommon to have -20 -30 Celsius during cold snaps. Usually a lot of snow. And in the summer I’d say 25 Celsius is our average with heat waves up to 35 Celsius.
I’d love some suggestions!
Thankscan i see a picture of ur run and coop outside and inside pls i need to see if its suitible for silkies or brahmas but brahmas can handle -10F but if it gets down to -30 they will need some supplementle heat aslo send me a picture of ur supplys waterer food food container DO NOT USE A HEATLAMP IN UR COOP could fall and start a big fire

I like the Brahma suggestions. I’d also love a silkie, but it’s just too cold and wet here for my liking (though I hear they’re tough little things).

As for getting over your phobia, raising from chicks will go a long way. Make sure you’re a daily caretaker. You start to learn how to read their body language to avoid curious pecks, and how to hold them as they grow.

The scariest thing IMO is that they’re little salmonella machines. 🤣 But I get it, birds are a VERY different animal, and there’s been plenty of times where I felt nervous (either out of fear of hurting them, or just not knowing what to expect).

I like the Brahma suggestions. I’d also love a silkie, but it’s just too cold and wet here for my liking (though I hear they’re tough little things).

As for getting over your phobia, raising from chicks will go a long way. Make sure you’re a daily caretaker. You start to learn how to read their body language to avoid curious pecks, and how to hold them as they grow.

The scariest thing IMO is that they’re little salmonella machines. 🤣 But I get it, birds are a VERY different animal, and there’s been plenty of times where I felt nervous (either out of fear of hurting them, or just not knowing what to expect).
its to damp for a brahma? i did not think so am oi wrong or were you just talkin about the silkies then i toltaly aggree

its to damp for a brahma? i did not think so am oi wrong
I think with any feather-footed bird, you have to be mindful of frostbite in the winter, and general muck in mud season. But I don't have any firsthand experience. I was thinking more of the top coat with my comment, as Silkies have that unique hair-like feathering and not the typical water-repellent top feathers.

Back
Top Bottom