Silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Birdfever, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Birdfever

Birdfever New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    Is there any way other than wait to see who crows and who lays an egg to tell what sex silkies are? Are the roos larger than the hens?
    Thanks

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Not hard and fast rules, but generally the girls topknots are more upright and the boys "sometimes" are swept back sorta, like they are headed into a stiff breeze, or slicked their hair up and back for a night out, LOL. Later, the boys will start getting whispy streamers out the back of their topknots, often well before they crow. They tend to stand taller on their legs, and stretch their neck up taller, like they are looking over everything, then settle back down. The cartilage on the tops of their beaks is sometimes more pronounced and the bill is thicker and sometimes points down a tiny bit. Every single one of these signs can be opposite, but taken all together, if it has most of the boy sypmtoms, it is likely a boy. If it has a rounded topknot, small bill, small nostril cartilage, walks sorta crouched and rounded, no whispies out of the back of its topknot, probably a girl.

3. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    My silkie roo was alot bigger than the others. I was hoping it was just a fluffier bird but either way, its a gamble unless you buy them older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by