1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GertrudeLover01, Apr 8, 2012.

1. One!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Two!! Buddy time!!

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. GertrudeLover01

GertrudeLover01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have 3 pullets that are 20 weeks old (Barred Rock, Production Red, and Ameraucana) and I love them. BUT I think Silkies are so pretty and I want one. If I got one in mid-late August at about 8-9 weeks, would I be better off getting 2 or one? I don't want one loner young one but 6 hens is my city limit so that would bring me to 4 for one but 5 for two. Please help me decide on # and how to integrate them into the older flock.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Three would be even better! Yes, Silkies do need buddies of their own kind in my opinion. I would worry too, that your older pullets will pick on them. I keep all of my Silkies seperated from the other breed I have, Marans, so I don't have to worry about fights or them getting picked on. I say fights, because the Silkie roos don't see themselves as little, and will challenge a roo three times their size!!! By the way, if your girls are just 20 weeks old, they are still considered "pullets". A female is not considered a "hen" until she is a year old. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. GertrudeLover01

Mar 20, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Oh I know about the pullet-hen thing because i looked it up right after i posted...Thanks for the reply though!!

4. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Most definatley 2! Even though you are nearly at your limit, it will be worth it. Plus you could get different coloured ones :)
    Good Luck
    :)

1 person likes this.
  5. GertrudeLover01

Mar 20, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    What I didn't know is my mother surprised me with 2, 5 day old chicks on Wednesday!!! Check out pics on my profile to help me figure out what these are!!

6. chickenboy1400

chickenboy1400 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Callahan Fl
    i tryed putting silkies in with my BIG Rhode Islands. it didn't turn out good. the reds are so rough, and silkies are so fragile. i keep standerds, and bantams apart anyways. just because

7. GertrudeLover01

Mar 20, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Okay I have a silkie now. I got 2 more chickens (not silkies) and then one of my original 3 died, bringing us to 4. Then, in august, I got a cute little silkie named Rosie [​IMG]..... I am confused because now we have.....
    Coop #1: Penny & Maggie [​IMG]
    Coop #2: Maisy & Daisy [​IMG]
    Dog crate: Rosie [​IMG]
    We tried mixing her with Maisy and Daisy because she is closer in age and Maisy is bantam, but............. Daisy and Maisy both attacked.
    So, we tried Penny and Maggie, but.............. Maggie is Penny's protector, so........ she attacked. Now, I am at a loss. [​IMG]
    I interact with Rosie close to daily and she seems fine but I don't know what to do! I don't have the money to get another chicken for her companionship (coop $, food $, chick $, de-worming $,etc). AHHH! I may see what happens if I put all 5 together. It doesn't look good. (Jersey Giant & Bantam mutt + Production red & Barred Rock + Silkie)
    You may be wondering why there is a Jersey Giant and bantam mutt living together. i have no idea. They were hatch mates, and I just don't know how they get along. oh well. [​IMG]

Chicken butt! Ha. JK.
    I need help so if you clicked this, leave a comment below to help me. THANKS!

8. Sabrina 42

Sabrina 42 New Egg

Aug 24, 2012
    I have the same problem, we keep our Silkie in the front garden because she was nearly killed her first time in our coop- (we have 3 amaracunas and 1 cochin) At night she sleeps in the coop in a small dog crate. All our birds are around 5 or 6 months old. I am going to get another silkie for her companionship. I am most worried about her sleeping at night. This is my first winter with chickens and I am afraid she will be too cold on her own. I have set up a divider in the coop to separate her from the other chickens. I dont think there is much you can do but keep her seperated on her own or with another mate silkie. good luck!!

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    ANY ime you add new chickens, regardless of breed, there is very likely to be disruption in hte pecking order, and some scuffling/fighting. There are things you can do to minimize it, though.

Put the new bird(s) in inside a wire cage so that they can all become accustomed to the appearance and sound of each other without physically interacting.

After several days or even a week or so, provide some limited supervised time to interact with each other. Preferably in the late afternoon/early evening, a half hour or so before they head to their roosts for the night. Even if they get along fine, pen the new birds up again for the night; give them several successful "play dates" before turning them loose together.

My silkies tend to be more aggressive than my largefowl, my polish, my brahmas, my moderns. Generally the smaller the silkie, the more likely she is to be top hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by