Silky bantam odd man out?

booksandcranies

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2023
So- my silky girls head got plucked pretty clean, it was read and irritated and poor girl has a puncture wound from all the pecking.
She’s isolated, on the mend and now I’m just considering my options

She’s the only silky in my bantam flock (it was,, an accident of sorts, they seemed so delicate so I didn’t trust myself with the breed and ended up with one anyway somehow) and she’s at the bottom of the pecking order and I’m afraid she an odd man out due to her feather type.

So I have come up with two ideas to reintroduce her to the flock, I could

A. Some how find a single silky chicken that needs to be rehomed or is just being sold and introduce them together (once she’s healed), let them bond and introduce them to the group, and hope since there are two of them the feathers won’t be so out of place. Of course keep a close eye on things.
However I have no idea how I would even get a single silky chicken, considering I was called sketchy on fb for wanting just one, even though I explained my reasons for just 1 :/

B. Or I could avoid that mess of trying to find just one silky. I could take a hen from my own flock after my silky has healed, let them bond together and then reintroduce them to the flock. Keep a close eye to ensure they aren’t pecking/feather eating. I would employee the no-peck spray and anything else that would deter them from eating her feather like boredom busters. After talking to a few people this doesn’t seem to be an uncommon problem, and while it occurs occasionally it usually stops after some time

I guess I’m just pretty unsure of what direction to take after she’s been healed. I have read it’s an awful idea to introduce just one chicken, and I want her to be accepted and not just pushed to the side. If the boredom busters don’t work and options a/b don’t work I’ll probably have to rehome her for her safety.

So- my silky girls head got plucked pretty clean, it was read and irritated and poor girl has a puncture wound from all the pecking.
She’s isolated, on the mend and now I’m just considering my options

She’s the only silky in my bantam flock (it was,, an accident of sorts, they seemed so delicate so I didn’t trust myself with the breed and ended up with one anyway somehow) and she’s at the bottom of the pecking order and I’m afraid she an odd man out due to her feather type.

So I have come up with two ideas to reintroduce her to the flock, I could

A. Some how find a single silky chicken that needs to be rehomed or is just being sold and introduce them together (once she’s healed), let them bond and introduce them to the group, and hope since there are two of them the feathers won’t be so out of place. Of course keep a close eye on things.
However I have no idea how I would even get a single silky chicken, considering I was called sketchy on fb for wanting just one, even though I explained my reasons for just 1 :/

B. Or I could avoid that mess of trying to find just one silky. I could take a hen from my own flock after my silky has healed, let them bond together and then reintroduce them to the flock. Keep a close eye to ensure they aren’t pecking/feather eating. I would employee the no-peck spray and anything else that would deter them from eating her feather like boredom busters. After talking to a few people this doesn’t seem to be an uncommon problem, and while it occurs occasionally it usually stops after some time

I guess I’m just pretty unsure of what direction to take after she’s been healed. I have read it’s an awful idea to introduce just one chicken, and I want her to be accepted and not just pushed to the side. If the boredom busters don’t work and options a/b don’t work I’ll probably have to rehome her for her safety.

What you said about Facebook is why I love BYC because we don't have those types of people here and someone like that would quickly be dealt with. You could try Craigs List for your area just to see what's out there but be very wary as they have a lot of scammers, or at least used to. We have poultry swaps here but not in the winter. I'm not sure where you are but if in a warm state, could try look for one of those in your area.

I like B though. After those two are buds, add another hen so there are three of them. There's power in numbers. ☺️

What you said about Facebook is why I love BYC because we don't have those types of people here and someone like that would quickly be dealt with. You could try Craigs List for your area just to see what's out there but be very wary as they have a lot of scammers, or at least used to. We have poultry swaps here but not in the winter. I'm not sure where you are but if in a warm state, could try look for one of those in your area.

I like B though. After those two are buds, add another hen so there are three of them. There's power in numbers. ☺️
Thank you!! I will go with option B for now! If it happens again well, option A can still be tried out!!!

And yeah😅, I very quickly realized that maybe Facebook wasn’t the way to go so I hoped on here, you guys always have such insightful advice!!

Hows it going?
She’s back with her flock! It’s a bit weird, she mostly is on her own but they don’t pick on her at all- other than getting the pecking order sorted out. But so far no blood, no feather pulling. Just trying to get her to be more accepted by the flock if that makes sense?

Back
Top Bottom