Silky chicks growing up.. Hen or Roo? *pics of them aging*

Sparkle is my 7 month old white silky you see bobbing in the background behind Angel's picture. I am lucky enough to get almost an egg a day from her, she is quite the little layer! But her body is much smaller than Fifi and Angel, I believe she is more Bantam size then those two. I'm still a little confused about how Silkies can be different sizes. Anybody know more on that?

They are looking good! I said before in June they were a pair - female/male.... I still think so - though its hard to tell with the white one Angel because the head is down, and I can't tell if what I think is backward streamers coming in at the back of the base of the head.

Fifi like I said before I was sure was a girl, shes a partridge and the coloring from earlier on told me she was more likely a girl. - Angel, the body's carriage still looks boy to me that butt is more rooish than henish with a silkie...Get a good picture of Angel standing up, 'posing' - so we can see the body and the head clearly.

As for laying, silkies can take anywhere from 18 weeks (which is rare) to 8 or 9 months to lay your first egg. the better quality they are, the slower maturing they are. Your birds look to be of good quality, so you may be waiting another month or two for eggs.

As for sizes, silkies in the US are supposed to be bantam sized, over seas they have what is considered a bantam and a standard silkie. In the US they should be 28-36 ounces or something like that, like most bantams...HOWEVER people are selectively breeding them over the years to be larger. I have 2 on the extreme sides, I have 1 rooster who is nearly 5 lbs. Then I have a hen who is tiny and light at about 27 28 ounces.

Last edited:
Took this today...

Angel
94651_angelroo.jpg

Got a video too..
Angel is first seen. Then Fifi.
At :12 sparkle come in on the left, she has more of a yellow coat and not as big of a poof. She is our 8 month old silkie that lays already.

After watching the video I'm sure Angel should be called Angelo. I saw streamers, and the way he carries himself looks like a male.

Last edited:
Oh No!!!
hit.gif

I was worried about that...

I have ten chickens total, and one is a BSL roo that he grew up with, all others hens.

Am I going to have problems with Angel and my roo fighting? The roo is in the background of the last pic on the right

Last edited:
Sooo now I'm seriously confused
hu.gif
lol

Because my young roo Rocky,jumped on and mated with Angel. AAAnd Angel put his/her a$$ in the air and squatted and took it!!!!!!
ep.gif

Sooo is this common? Or is Angel either faking it, subbmitting to rocky, or gay? I'm baffeled at this point, and don't understand my little chicken...
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom